First Rack ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lherndo

Reaction score
I'm about to rack my first ferment EVER in the next day or two. Am I supposed to top off with water up to the neck of the carboy? Any specific type of water? My tap water has a nice taste, I know some tap water is way off, or should I use RO/DI water like my fish tank?

Also, is there a particular temperature it needs to be? Thanks.

I have a plastic carboy, so I think I need to fill it up a little less so it won't push out the top when I move it above the refrigerator.

And finally, do I need to put some water/sterilizer inside the valve topper on the carboy or is that just for specific types of toppers? Thanks.

1) I dont recommend topping up your wine with water as it dilutes your wine and reduces the body of the wine. If its still fermenting you dont want to top up anyways. If it is done fermenting (checked by 3 days of consecutive syable sg's) then add your sulfite, sorbate and degas the wine then top off with a cheap commercial wine of the same or something as similiar as you can find, a bottle or 2 to a 6 gallon batch will not change the flavor. If you want to sweeten your wine then after adding the above additives you can sweeten now with a simple syrup and that will displace the missing volume. What wine is this again?

And finally, do I need to put some water/sterilizer inside the valve topper on the carboy or is that just for specific types of toppers? Thanks.
There is a waterless air lock but they aren't common. You probably need to have liquid in your air-lock. I just use good water, others use sanitizer (K-meta solution), still others use vodka.

Steve

iopps, sorry, I forgot about that question but CP covered my back! If you use water just make sure to change it out as stagnant water can become a place for germs to swim and barometric pressure changes can sometimes make a wine contract which will suck in the water. It usually expands firts though filling up the airlock with your wine and then gets sucked back in when the storm goes away. A cheap vodka or grain alc is the best as it doesnt exaporate as quickly and has much better germ defense and when the wines done you can celebrate by doing the "shot" Hehehe

You need to remove the air lock before you try to move that plastic bottle.
Lifting the bottle by its neck stretches the bottle. It can cause the liquid in the air lock to be sucked into the bottle. Then when you set it back down, any liquid left in the air lock can be blown out the top of the air lock into your face.

Once you move a plastic bottle, try to let it set until you need to rack it.

Latest posts

Back