First rack off but SG too low.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdex

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, we have made some cherry wine which has stopped fermenting after 5 days first fermentation then 17 days in a air locked jar.
The S.G. was 1.110 at start and is now 0.990. We have racked it off into another jar and put the airlock back on. We have about 5 liters (US1.32gal)
We think the S.G is too low as we want a medium wine.
We are not sure when and how much sugar to add. The book says add to taste but I'm not sure if we will know the right taste.
Is there a way to calculate the amount of sugar to add?
Thanks,

adding to your taste will produce the best results.
you can pull a measured sample and then slow add measured amounts of sugar or simple syrup until it tastes like you like it. then just do the math to figure what the addition for the rest of the bottle would be.

wade posted this in an earlier thread today on a similar issue...
Dry wines are in the .990-1.000 range
Medium dry are in the 1.001-1.008 range
Semi Sweet are in the 1.009-1.015 range and anything above that is considered sweet.

Hi thanks very much for your answer. We will try a small amount first and adjust to taste. I guess we could also put the hydrometer in the wine and add sugar solution until it reaches say 1.008.
Would this work?
Cheers

Time to loose the hydrometer. It has it's purpose but now it is time for your senses to take control. Just follow the advice given above and you will be fine. Enjoy the process.

Hi all, we have made some cherry wine which has stopped fermenting after 5 days first fermentation then 17 days in a air locked jar.
The S.G. was 1.110 at start and is now 0.990. We have racked it off into another jar and put the airlock back on. We have about 5 liters (US1.32gal)
We think the S.G is too low as we want a medium wine.
We are not sure when and how much sugar to add. The book says add to taste but I'm not sure if we will know the right taste.
Is there a way to calculate the amount of sugar to add?
Thanks,

Don't forget the sulphite and sorbate!!

Do not add sugar directly into the wine. It will be much harder to dissolve.
Make Simple Syrup. Then add that slowly to your wine using a degasser to mix to YOUR "taste".

I wouldn't try to just raise it to 1.008...it might be too sweet then.

go by taste. the acidity of the wine will also balance sweetness (along with ABV and tannins)

Latest posts

Back