First post- dumba$$ attack!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damageinc

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all...
I have been making home wine for years. You would think that I would know better than to make the error that I did today and wanted to know if anyone can offer advice on what I could do to minimize the damage...
I was readin onlne that adding a little S02 during the primary fermentation is of to minimize competing yeast.
So, I started some home fruit wines 10 or so days ago ( it had been some time since making wine and I have never been smart enough to document my experiences).So anyway I added approx 1\8 tsp to 5 gallons ( of potassium metabisulphite) into my must that is approx 1.030 on the hydrometer...immediatly after, I thought that something might be worng- it didn't feel right.
So anyway, I still have fermentation ( I can still see it bubble) but I was thinking:
1) Low dose ( 1\5 of stabilization added) that maybe I pull off 1 gal and add more juice that I have on the side to dillute and add some sugar to get the sg back to 1.030 .
2) Forget about it and cross my fingers and stirr it frequently for the first 24 hours to lower the S02?

Any ideas?

Solution #2 is the way I'd go. I've added a little K-meta to the secondary before without screwing things up. Just stir the crap out of it.

I'd agree with Muscadine, go for solution #2.

Modern yeats cultures are pretty sulphite resistant, so the sulphite will not do
to much harm (unless you really add to much sulphite).
Secondly the yeast will benefit from the extra oxygen for their multiplication, and the free sulphite levels will lower.

So stirring is your best option.

Luc

Well, since I thought that I needed a quick reply, I panicked and blended the 2 together. I drew out a half gallon and stirred the heck out of it...
It is bubbling like mad today!
THanks...

PICT0076-1.jpg

Then I whipped up a concord for the heck of it...on the side - in the event that these 2 don't come uot just right...

Last edited:
Did you add 1/8th tsp to the entire 5 gallons or 1/8th tsp per gallon? I don't think 1/8th tsp to 5 gallons will cause any problems. If there is a bit too much, you can stir stir stir like suggested but i don't think just an 1/8th tsp total in 5 gallons will do you any harm at all.

Smurfe :)

Did you add 1/8th tsp to the entire 5 gallons or 1/8th tsp per gallon? I don't think 1/8th tsp to 5 gallons will cause any problems. If there is a bit too much, you can stir stir stir like suggested but i don't think just an 1/8th tsp total in 5 gallons will do you any harm at all.

It was 1\8 per 5 gallon...I didn't think so but immediatly after I racked it for secondary, I lost (thought that I did) fermentation...it was pretty inactive(probably because I rakedd off a lot of yeast...
It is fermenting now...I am using the Lav 71D...it appears to be pretty resistant to So....thank god...I have been lucky so far and haven't totalled a batch yet even though I have had to do some serious tweaking here and there.
I boosted it with nutrient- I think that also helped...

You should be just fine. I normally add a crushed Camden tablet per gallon (non-kit wines) at each racking. Haven't had a problem yet. I really need to get a SO test kit for home though.

how long does it take to gt approval from a admin to post?

So,how long does it take to gt approval from a admin to post?
I think that I have some legit other things going on that are , all of the sudden being quashed for some reason...any clues? Where might my posts show up?
What to do>?

So,how long does it take to gt approval from a admin to post?
I think that I have some legit other things going on that are , all of the sudden being quashed for some reason...any clues? Where might my posts show up?
What to do>?
Certain keywords in your post keys a moderation. It is supposed to not happen after you have 10 posts. It is nothing against you personally. We have spammers attack the forums hard at times so there are anti spam measures in place. It is triggered by certain words, so if you use any of the words in the list, it automatically goes to moderation. I try to check daily and approve posts that should of posted with no issue.

Gotcha- that makes good sense...
Now my friends can also see the video on here from Germany...
Thanks...
and the wine turned out ok- as you can see...

Latest posts

Back