First Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD

Reaction score
2005-03-24_001534_start.jpg

Island Mist

White Zinfandel

3/23/05 @ 03:54 (am)

SG 1.052 @ 74*

Initial taste: Tropical fruits with a hint of grapes.

3/24/05 @ 12:40 (am)

SG 1.050-1.052 @ 74*

Have active fermentation

Taste: Same as before with a little sparkle.

We are thinking of going camping this weekend what will it hurt if this set's in the primary until Monday?

Put the lid on tight and use an airlock and it will be fine. It will be ready to rack to glass by then, I'm sure. You might wanna be sure it isn't somewhere it will get too warm. A 72* room is just right to keep a low sugar must at about 74* during active fermentation. Down to 68* will be fine also.

smiley20.gif

Looks great!

No, I don't think you'll have a problem at all with leaving it for a weekend. Just put a big towel underneath (just in case fermentation takes off a little TOO good.)...

And don't forget to have fun!

Ramrod, my Island Mist, now in the bottles is still a little CO2ish, when you stablize you might want to take that drill stirrer you have and drive off CO2 a little extra than what the directions call for, the directions in my white wine (not island mist)kit say stir two minutes wait 15 then repeat twice.

Nope, that's not enough. You should stir that way at each racking, and when adding stabilizer and fining also.

I would say "stir 15, wait 2, stir again for 15 minutes"....

And as Glenvall said, at every racking.

Question my instructions say rack to carboy when SG reaches 1.010 or less, but do not top up at this stage.

Reattach bung and airlock to corboy.

Leave carboy in fermintation area for a furhter 10 days. No test are required during this time.

If I rack today (3/27/05) the 10 day period will end on 4/6/05 the problem is I leave for work 4/4/05 and will not return until 4/20/05. How will this efect or harmthe wine?

It will be fine just make sure you have plenty of water in airlock.

Ok thanks with every where I read about toping up just wanted to make sure.
smiley4.gif

You might go ahead and top up some on the 3rd. Less ullage=less O2. It should be very slow by then. Other than that, I agree with Scott.

As long as I dont remove the air lock and make sure it has enough water in it wont it have a C02 blanket on top to keep the air away. Right now it is bubbling away.

As long as you see airlock activity, yes you have lots of CO2 present, but when fermentation slows, you will have less and less CO2 over the wine. I am not trying to scare you into doing anything my way, just telling you what to expect. Personally, I think you need to read some books about winemaking and fermentation in general.

Yes I agree I need to get some books and do a lot of reading. Not to be argumentative but if you have a two inch air space in your carboy and your air lock is steady bubbling and you don't remove your air lock andthe fermentation slows will the C02 dissipate. AgainI may be totally wrong on this but I like todebate things even whenI don't know whatI am talking about, soI feelyou will keep a C02 blanket over the wine until you pull the air lock and stopper to release it and allow air in.

What are your thoughts on this CW

Latest posts

Back