First "Mead"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsbrewery

Reaction score
While at the grocery store today, I got inspired to try something I've
been thinking about for awhile: Cyser. Here's my recipe, it's too late
to change, but I'd love any kind of feedback!

5 lbs, 12oz Honey (local honey found at Smith's...strange)
5 12oz cans frozen apple juice concentrate (Old Orchard brand)
1 lb Sugar to bring SG up
Water to 6 Gal
Premier Cuvee yeast
K-Meta as appropriate

S.G. 1.062

I intend to bottle this with priming sugar to end up with a nice sparkling beverage in 4 months or so.

I'm thinking from what I've read that it'll be ready around christmas...we'll see.

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions!

That looks pretty good, but the apple taste may be light. Next time try to use all apple juice and no extra water (if you use the cans). Should be a nice drink for sure by next summer. Local honey, if at all possible is the best way to go! Hubby has made a Honey Porter with our local honey and it is still one of my favorites. I've already started on my hard lemonades for next summer. So far I have maple, cranberry (if it starts fermenting
smiley36.gif
) and very soon blackberry.
VC

I'm curious how you make Hard Lemonade. Do you make it sparkling? Or still? I'd love to hear your process (or recipes...). We were discussing it on another forum.

I make hard lemonade by cheating!
smiley2.gif
Once what ever wine or mead I am making is racked to the secondary I pour lemonade onto the leftover slurry add yeast nutrient, stir or shake like crazy, check the SG and adjust if necessary, repeat the stirring and shaking, move the must to a smaller fermenter if necessary, and it should start fermenting almost immediately. Once it finishes fermenting I stabilize it and back sweeten to taste (so its still). I don't bother clearing it, just bottle after a month or so (and I use screwtops). I usually only make 1/2 to a gallon at a time and I get lots of nice flavors to enjoy.
This is very easy , pretty cheap and a nice summer beverage.
VC

No I use store bought, its already mixed and I just dump in however much I feel like making. Once our lemon tree decides to produce I'll use my own. By the way the cranberry took about an hour to start - not bad.
VC

I've used the yeast cake for beer before, I guess I never thought of using the wine yeast cake. Good idea!
smiley32.gif

Latest posts

Back