WineXpert First Kit: WineXpert California Merlot Reserve (with additions?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly 4 weeks from the start, rerack to tapless carboy. 0,4l leftover after I filled the carboy to the neck.

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_182238054_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20220913_182238054_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220913_185142462_MF_PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    IMG_20220913_185142462_MF_PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Bottled 2th of November aka Day of the Dead. 2 weeks of bottle shock. Already used most of it with cooking because I got addicted to Red Deer Burgundy... Few bottles to friends and family too. 7 bottles left which I try to save for later lol. Already making the next kit.

IMG_20221102_163725141_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

About 5 months old from the start of fermentation. Last bottle has pigment sediment, so probably bottled this too early. The taste is great. I consider this project as success, most likely going to do another batch of the same and age it longer.

IMG_20230121_063621174_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

My experience is sediment like this comes from pulling some off of the bottom of your carboy during bottling.

5 months from start of fermentation is also an issue. Reds can drop sediment for a long time if not using fining agents.

I agree with @szap, when bottling, rack to a bottling bucket, add Kmeta, glycerin, whatever else your planning, then bottle. Bottling from a carboy with sediment, IMO, is inviting problems.

5 months from start of fermentation is also an issue. Reds can drop sediment for a long time if not using fining agents.

I agree with @szap, when bottling, rack to a bottling bucket, add Kmeta, glycerin, whatever else your planning, then bottle. Bottling from a carboy with sediment, IMO, is inviting problems.
I finally learned this lesson. Now I always rack to another container before bottling plus I still use the fining agents according to directions, as I can't detect any taste difference. Exception is wine from grapes. I haven't used fining agents on those.

Latest posts

Back