First kit started tonight!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a little tasting of my very first kit, the Fontana Merlot this Labor Day and I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor and color. Still not much bouquet and while the flavor was ok, it was still thin. I did add the single oak spiral in hoped that will give the wine the little extra boost it needs. I stayed away from adding any additional tannins.
I'll taste again in three weeks and then decide if I should pull the spiral at that point or wait the full six weeks. I'm hopeful it's going to end up decent.

View attachment 50841

You won't get much of a nose from kit wines (as a general rule). If you do go down the tannin road, Tannin Riche Extra might be just the thing...

Give them time..... All of my bulk aging wine really turned the corner at 18 months. I like oak, and have found that once you rack off the oak you lose 50% of the oakiness so aim high. I have 8 carboys aging, all big reds and an empty fermentation bucket but no more carboys. Have to bottle or get more carboys.

Latest posts

Back