first kit questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
well, after weeks of learning from ya'll, i've decided my lambrusco kit needed a "forum" touch...it's due to be bottled in a couple of weeks and the taste is harsh. it's like some have said, you want "OK" wine or good wine...(this will never be great:(
so today, i added 1/8 tsp. k-meta (k-meta, not campden, aren't you proud of me, lol) and 1/2 tsp. sorbate per gallon (it's a 5 gallon kit). i put it in a little must to dissolve and then racked from one 5 gallon bucket to the other (after washing, soaking, and sanitizing, i'm happy to report, there is NO rotten peach smell whatsoever, in the other bucket:db). the wine is beautifully clear to this newbie, such a pretty dark red. it had been quite gassy, so i let the hose create a vortex and hopefully that will help some.
my kit came with a wine "conditioner", which i now know is basically a simple syrup/sweetener. i will use this but from now on i'm sure i will make my own and use f-pac's. any other suggestions to liven this kit up into "good" wine??
living and learning.

Not sure if you like oak at all but sometimes a light oaking will help bring out some flavors otherwise not noticed.

hmm, interesting thought...
wade, are you and tom teachers??? ya'll sure make me do alot of homework, lol

i added 1/2 the bottle of wine conditioner today and it brought the s.g. up from .992 to 1.000. i still don't think that's very sweet, but by what i've read, sweetness can improve with age. wade, you mentioned oaking. according to the kit directions, i'm less than 2 weeks from bottling. (i now know directions are, well, letters on paper). is this still an appropriate time to try some oak? i'm still reading up on this...

rica:

What brand is this lambrusco kit? Perhaps cans in your "on-deck" signature is a clue. Are they the Sun-Cal brand?
on deck=beaujolais and vino blanc cans, and frozen blackberries

Thanks, Steve

hmm, interesting thought...
wade, are you and tom teachers??? ya'll sure make me do alot of homework, lol

LOL! teachers? I guess you can say we both are...

Teachers of wine.. Kinda nice ring..

If you are interested in oaking this at this point get a spiral or oak cubes as the chips will make a mess of your wine again. Staves are good now also. These are slow to add oak to your wine unlike the dust or chips as they havea lot more surface area so they impart the oak flavor very fast. remember when oaking youll actually want to over oak your wine a bit as it will smooth in over time unlike sweetening where it will show through more later as the wine smoothes out and the flavor shines through. With a Lambrusco Id probably go with a with the French medium plus spiral. Below is a link to them and a good place to buy them.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=82002C

rica:

What brand is this lambrusco kit? Perhaps cans in your "on-deck" signature is a clue. Are they the Sun-Cal brand?

Thanks, Steve
yes steve, you are correct. as a newbie i will put this out there. go ahead an buy a cheap kit if it's something you're gonna do for fun and to just try the first time, BUT if you have any serious interest at all, DO NOT go for the cheap kits. i've learned my lesson...

If you are interested in oaking this at this point get a spiral or oak cubes as the chips will make a mess of your wine again. Staves are good now also. These are slow to add oak to your wine unlike the dust or chips as they havea lot more surface area so they impart the oak flavor very fast. remember when oaking youll actually want to over oak your wine a bit as it will smooth in over time unlike sweetening where it will show through more later as the wine smoothes out and the flavor shines through. With a Lambrusco Id probably go with a with the French medium plus spiral. Below is a link to them and a good place to buy them.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=82002C

thanks for the advice...i''m gonna take it. i want to improve this wine to better than "ok"...

Latest posts

Back