First kit, a few questions....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthompson

Reaction score
I am making my first kit today and had a couple of questions.

It says to add the yeast at 65-75 degrees. The house is at 75, but the must is holding at around 80. Any issues adding the yeast?

I know I will be using the equipment (hydrometer, spoon, etc) more as the kit goes along. How do you guys sterilize your stuff each time, do I need to get more PM?

Yes, you need to sanitize anything that touches the wine at any time. Get more sanitizer. I would say go ahead and add the yeast if it has been sitting there over 24 hours. You might try to set it on the floor if it isn't already as it i cooler at floor level. Good luck and keep us posted. What you making?

One easy way to sanitize is get a spray bottle qt size. Make a strong batch of k-meta and add to bottle. When you need to ck the gravity spray into the tube the hydrometer goes in cover and wait a minute or two. Let the fumes do their work.

One easy way to sanitize is get a spray bottle qt size. Make a strong batch of k-meta and add to bottle. When you need to ck the gravity spray into the tube the hydrometer goes in cover and wait a minute or two. Let the fumes do their work.

Thanks all. I have put in the yeast. I may get some more PM, I have some left in the a 1 gallon jug that should get me through. I am making a Wine Experts Carmenere.

Good choice I have 12 gallons of Carmenere freesh juice aging

Back