First from grapes - Baco Noir & Sauv Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I picked up my first from grapes direct from the vineyard. I'm stoked.

The baco was a bucket of must.
Tasty tasty must (I found a couple un-crushed grapes that I had to taste).
They recommended 71B-1122 yeast.

The Sauv was, effectively, juice.
The Sauv needed to be adjusted for acidity (2g/L) while the Baco was it's typical acid self.
They gave recommended a R-HST yeast for this one.

I re-hydrated the yeast and, within an hour or so, the must was bubbling along nicely.

But, flying a little blind, but does anyone have recommendations for either Sauv Blanc or Baco Noir for modifiers?
I was thinking to oak the Baco. Should I leave the Sauv Blanc alone?

I do really like an acidic tasting wine: what are the normal ranges for acid in wine?
Their recommendations is also to adjust acid before starting the fermentation but can this be done later (after fermentation)?

Sauv Blanc should not be oaked

red wine acid can be from .6-.9 with a ph from 3.3-3.5
before making any adjustments I would wait at least three months for the wine to settle and degass. measurements are fine for determining where you are at, but taste should be the final answer. start oakafter wine is clear.

I think the baco started at 7.9

I assume, by your comments, that I could adjust after fermentation. So that's good; thank you.

Lesson learnt yesterday with grapes: headspace and to split the batch.

Made a decent mess with a very dark purple juice. Tasty though and am glad I used the airlock to keep it from spilling everywhere.

Back