First cold stabilization WOW diamonds!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roy, in the past I've done a couple CS and didn't know much about it before I did it, did it because I wanted the wine to clear.
The wines turned flabby at that point if I remember.

I think there's a post somewhere where depending on pH we should not do CS because the wine may become more acidic.

Why did you want that wine to CS? Taste, cloudy, etc?

Varis I did it because I like to share my bigger Reds with friends, together & as gifts. Well I've been plagued with wine diamonds. Know it's not a bad flaw, but I hate explaining it to people. It's the funny look they give me, I even suggest they google it. So bought a special refrigerator & we are C S ing. But I'll watch the PH better before we C S are next wine. Thanks,Roy & Dawn

Red wines normally are not chilled, so CS is not needed

If you add back some Tartaric acid you will get rid of the flabbiness.

If you know what the original PH was, do a bench trail and get back to that level.

Or you can just put the diamonds back in, stir it some and warm it up. Kinda going in circles, tho. Good luck with it, Arne.

Red wines normally are not chilled, so CS is not needed

If you add back some Tartaric acid you will get rid of the flabbiness.

If you know what the original PH was, do a bench trail and get back to that level.

I belive a good rule of thumb, wine from grapes west of the Rocky Mountains (normally) do not benefit from CS but grapes grown in the rest of the US sure do. Again this is just a rule of thumb. For those that don't know or understand us folks from the East struggle mightily with high acid grapes:(

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still C S my big Reds, like I said I serve them chilled, MY preference. But I'm also doing an experiment, put Malbec & A sample of Elderberry in C S to see if their PH will rise, they were 3.18 & 3.24. Need another 10 days to tell. Roy

Latest posts

Back