First cherry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Despite (or perhaps because of?) my wife complaining about the 12 meads and wines in aging, I had the itch for another go at country wine today - this time, cherry (my first): 2/3 morello, 1/3 black cherry from the family orchards:

0414211947.jpg

Last edited:
IF it ferments dry that's going to be some stout wine there at 16.26% ABV Do you plan on back-sweetening it up a lot?

I don't expect it to go below 1010 fg or above 15.5% abv (I've never had 71b exceed more than 1.5% above nominal) . I'll probably sit it on some oak and let it be for 1 year+. otherwise, i'll leave it as is

Last edited:
Even at 14-15%+ that wine will need some back-sweetening to be enjoyable. The burn at those levels will bury the flavor. It should make a nice dessert wine, and as you say if it stops at 1.014 (13.65 % ABV) it will still be a good somewhat sweet wine. The only problem I've heard is that sweet cherry wine can take on a cough syrup taste according to some who have made it. I make tart cherry wine and there is no mistaking that for a cough syrup even at 14.5% ABV and bottled at 1.014. (My tart cherry is parts 3 tart cherry to 1 part sweet cherry. )

@Scooter68: Thanks for adding your cherry ratio. I once made a cherry blend but lost 3 of 5 bottles due to bottle fermentation, my bad. Have another 100% tart cherry in process but was trying to recall my ratio on the first batch.

Even at 14-15%+ that wine will need some back-sweetening to be enjoyable. The burn at those levels will bury the flavor. It should make a nice dessert wine, and as you say if it stops at 1.014 (13.65 % ABV) it will still be a good somewhat sweet wine. The only problem I've heard is that sweet cherry wine can take on a cough syrup taste according to some who have made it. I make tart cherry wine and there is no mistaking that for a cough syrup even at 14.5% ABV and bottled at 1.014. (My tart cherry is parts 3 tart cherry to 1 part sweet cherry. )

I have heard the "cough syrup" comparison before. I made a tart cherry mead once before using 100% morello, but it was a touch too tart for my taste, so i am supplementing with 1/3 black cherry.

as far as residuals go, I prefer a bit on the drier side, and planned for the event that even if it shoots way over target, it should hopefully still be drinkable, and still more sweet than a typical pinot noir, merlot, etc.

It's only a 1 gal batch, and I expect this to be more of an experimental trial run to get more acquainted with both the use of cherries, and making country wines.

Last edited:
Back