First brew jitters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful on adding too much extra prime. Ka-BLOOIE! :)

The bottle may not bust, but the cap will leak.

First thing with head retention is, use NO SOAP on any of your brewing equipment. Use cleaner/sanitizer. Second thing is, use NO SOAP on your beer glasses. Use cleaner/sanitizer, or rinse very thoroughly with HOT water after using soap. I have gotten to where I just wash my personal glass in very hot water alone.

Next, explore maltodextrin as a way to improve head retention. Use 1/4 to 1 lb. per 5 gal. to improve body and head retention.

As we all progress, we can fiddle with Biscuit malt addition, too, which adds a biscuit flavor and improves head retention. In fact, I'm doing just that with my next batch, my own recipe.

Just remembered - :slp - I forgot to tell you that beer looks EXCELLENT, James!

Thanks man and its good to it does have good head retention I just poored that one so slow and c arefull not to get any gunk that didn't have a chance to get a head. And what kind of recipee u whipping up? All grain?

Thanks man and its good to it does have good head retention I just poored that one so slow and c arefull not to get any gunk that didn't have a chance to get a head. And what kind of recipee u whipping up? All grain?

Good deal on the head. I learned long ago the old school, pour down the side of the glass way. It took major relearning for me to pour aggressively down the middle, as is required of craft beers for good head.

No to all grain. With good Continental maris otter extract going for $20 for 6 pounds, I see no economic reason to go through all the equipment costs and time consumption of all-grain right now. Extract brewing lets me use all my wine equipment for double duty. All I added was an 8-gallon brew pot.

I've seen video and read about head to head taste tests of all-grain and extract MO recipes, and the testers could not tell a difference. As long as it sells this cheaply, I'll stay with extract.

I'm just dipping my toes into brewing again. It has been over 20 years since my last venture. Back then, I was trying to make 'Pliney the Elder' out of a canned kit, sugar and water and you can imagine my disappointment. I'm a little smarter this time, I hope.

Just started a Fat Tire clone from my LHBS. I didn't realize until I got the kit home that it was a mini mash kit. It is the first mash I have ever done and it is really a PITA. I will also stick with extract kits until someone can prove mashing is worth the effort. I agree, Jim, putting my equipment to double use is an incentive. Besides, sitting on the back porch with one of my big reds is not as satisfying as it is with a cold brew.

Mini mash can be good if you want to use grains that need to be converted but don't have extracts available (biscuit, victory, flaked barley, etc) .

Yea im completely satisfied with my extract kit or was it a partial mash because I had grain in a bag? Anyways 30 bucks and I have 50 beers im proud to share and say ive made cant beat that in my Opinion

Latest posts

Back