First Batch Today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndd1

Reaction score
Today I made 5 gallons using Welch's Grape Juice. After adding all the sugar my ABV showed 17% on the hydrometer and I tried to add more water but ran out of room in the bucket. I did get it down to 15% ABV. If I only want 13% ABV in the end can I stop the fermentation when it gets to 2% ABV on the hydrometer rather than going to 1?

Only if you have a filter fine enough to remove yeast cells (doubtful) or if you heat it up (not recommended).

Better to take a little out and put it in a smaller container for fermentation. Then you can add water to the main batch. You can always use the extra to top up later.

Only if you have a filter fine enough to remove yeast cells (doubtful) or if you heat it up (not recommended).

Better to take a little out and put it in a smaller container for fermentation. Then you can add water to the main batch. You can always use the extra to top up later.

This was the batch that will set for 24 hours with the campden tablets in it. I will then add the yeast after this 24 hours. So how would you recommend I take a little out?

This was the batch that will set for 24 hours with the campden tablets in it. I will then add the yeast after this 24 hours. So how would you recommend I take a little out?
Get a smaller bucket. Let the must sit the 24 hours as-is then Stir it up and take out a gallon. Add water to the larger bucket to the target SG. I would leave the smaller one but you can adjust that one too if you like. make a yeast starter and add it proportionally to the two primary fermenters.

For secondary I assume you have a five gallon carboy? Get something smaller (gallon jug, wine bottles etc) for the small batch.

Back