First Batch Temperature Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I leave my wine where it is or move it?

• Leave wine in closet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move to basement

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started my first batch of wine ever! It's a Chardonnay wine kit from Costco. I started my primary fermentation on Monday, June 25th. Everything is going well so far, getting bubbles in the airlock, but I have a dilemma....

I have to go away this weekend for four days and an extreme heatwave is coming. I have the wine in my closet in my bedroom that will be somewhat protected from the temperatures, but it might hit up to 25+ degrees (77 + Fahrenheit) in there. I don't have air conditioning on that level so temperature control will be closing the blinds and curtains.

So I have two questions. At that temperature would the wine get too warm? If that is too warm, can I move it to my basement without interrupting the fermentation?

Thanks!

I think your wine will be fine at 77 for a few days, and it will help with degassing. You could also move it with no ill effects if you wish to.

I would move it and all your winemaking operations to the basement. Temps are significantly more consistent there than anywhere else in my house. But, it would probably be okay not moving.

I'm thinking I'll move it. Temps are forecasted to go even higher than before, plus the wife wasn't happy that I was taking up closet space, so it's a win win as long as the move won't negatively impact the wine.

I think your wine will be fine at 77 for a few days, and it will help with degassing. You could also move it with no ill effects if you wish to.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll move it just to be safe as long as there's no risk to moving it.

Back