First batch SG confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprit0

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at winemaking. Got a kit and Chianti starter for birthday, GREAT!
My question is, I'm to the stabilising and clearing stage. Instructions say to wait 10 days, SG should be at 0.996 or less for proper clearing. My wine semms to be hovering at 0.999 for last two days. Should I keep waiting for 0.996 or just go ahead and rack it now?

Thanks for all responses

Just a quick question for you.Have you tried making sure that your hydrometer reads correctly?You should check to see if yours does read 1.000 when in 68º water.If not write down what the difference is and always add or subtract the difference when you do measurments with it from now on.

A general rule is that fermentation is done if SG is below 1.000 and stays stable for a week or two.

Personally, I wouldnt sweat .003 difference as long as it's below 1.000 and not moving.

Another note is that some hydrometers are calibrated to 60* while others are caibrated to 68* so before checking to see if your hydrometer is calibrated see what it should be calibrated to. Try degassing your wine first though as C02 trapped in your wine will keep your hydrometer from giving you a correct reading.

SG responses

Thanks everyone for coming to my aid, it's great! SG finally stabilized for the last three days at 0.999. I decided to go with the advice of not sweating .003 and check my hydometer before next batch. Have to contact vendor to calibration temp.
Thanks again everyone, I hope I'm not back with more distress calls but to tell you have great my wine turned out!

Latest posts

Back