First batch of wine from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I've used grapes.

So after 14 days or so the juice is drained off the grapes and lees? Is it necessary to use a grape press?

First of all don't wait 14 days, use your hydrometer to determine when fermentation is complete or around 1.000. Some go lower and some go higher but you don't want to wait too long. You will need some type of press and a ratchet press is best if you can get one. Otherwise you can make a bucket press. I tried to find a good video but didn't have any luck.

Not necessary. You can just use what is known as the "free run." The portion of wine you'll leave behind will vary, might be up to 1/3 but could be less than 10%. I didn't press one of my red wines this year.

One of my wine making friends decided for 2019 he isn't pressing any wine. He ferments, allows a free run and that's it. And his wines are very good. It seems wasteful to me, but I'll bet the press only adds 15% to production, and he's ok with what he doesn't get.

Want to give you all an update. Pressed my grapes and separated the free run wine from the pressed. SG=1.004 And a pH of 3.7. TA=.7%. Added MLB and MLF started slowly. Added some Opti-Malic nutrient a few days later and visual inspection shows steady flow of bubbles to the neck of the carboy.

Racked off the primary and added MLB on 9/30. Added Opti-Malic Nutrient on 10/2 and observed start of MLF. I swirled the fine lees 1x per week to keep MLF moving. The visible bubbles stopped about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Today I measured the Malic Acid levels which show 15mg/L. I used a test kit that uses color, not paper chromatography. My SG=1.002, Must Temp=66, pH is back up at 4.02 and So2=18ppm. At his point I don't know if I should stop MLF, rack and add SO2 or let it keep going. A little worried with the high pH and low SO2 level. The taste is very flat. Any help is appreciated.

Racked off the primary and added MLB on 9/30. Added Opti-Malic Nutrient on 10/2 and observed start of MLF. I swirled the fine lees 1x per week to keep MLF moving. The visible bubbles stopped about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Today I measured the Malic Acid levels which show 15mg/L. I used a test kit that uses color, not paper chromatography. My SG=1.002, Must Temp=66, pH is back up at 4.02 and So2=18ppm. At his point I don't know if I should stop MLF, rack and add SO2 or let it keep going. A little worried with the high pH and low SO2 level. The taste is very flat. Any help is appreciated.

15mg/L is considered a complete MLF they say. The chroma test wouldn’t even register any malic that low with 100-200 mg/L threshold. And <30ng/L is considered a successful mlf
I had this same concern a couple years ago. Normally wouldn’t sweat letting it go longer - but the high ph makes the decision an easy one IMO.
You are done! Get that sucker protected and put to bed.

15mg/L is considered a complete MLF they say. The chroma test wouldn’t even register any malic that low with 100-200 mg/L threshold. And <30ng/L is considered a successful mlf
I had this same concern a couple years ago. Normally wouldn’t sweat letting it go longer - but the high ph makes the decision an easy one IMO.
You are done! Get that sucker protected and put to bed.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Back