First batch of strawberry, need some help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleC

Hunting, Fishing and now making wine in South Texa
Reaction score
This is my first batch of wine, making 5 gallons of strawberry. I started with a SG of 1.080 and five days later I'm now at 1.020 and just transferred to my secondary and applied airlock,still bubbling nicely. I probably left too much behind in my primary because I have about 4 inches of air space to deal with. Can someone tell me when I should add my fpak, do I stabilize first? When do I de-gas, when do I need to be concerned about topping off? Oh, and I have tap water in my air lock. Is this a bad idea? Thanks in advance for any advice to this rookie wine maker.

Since you are still in secondary and there is still alot of co2 being produced your air space isn't a huge concern at this point. For the next rack I would be more careful with it and go to a smaller container.

Never used an f pak. I have read to do it around this time though.

Tap water in the air lock isn't bad for it. Alot of people just use their sanitizing solution as it is very cheap and keeps everything sanitized nicely.

Thanks for the guidance. What about de-gassing? When is the best time?

Thanks Arne. So my next few steps after fermentation would be to rack again, top off, de-gas and stabilize? Then wait 24 hrs after stabilizing and add my fpac. Then rack every 3-4 weeks until clear, back sweeten, then bottle? Does that sound right? Am I missing anything?

Let the lees sit for a few days to harden up a bit. Makes it easier to leave them in the bottom of the carboy. If some transfer, don't worry about it, you can leave them the next time. I ususally let mine clear before stabalizing. At least mostly clear, then add your f-pac. Be aware that adding after clearing can make your wine cloudy and you will have to wait for it to clear again. Alter all this, I sweeten and let it sit for a couple of weeks to make sure it doesn't referment and then bottle. Arne.

I have tried strawberry a couple times, but both times I lost most of the color after the second racking, and they always came out super thin (good nose, no taste). This summer I am going to get several big cartons of frozen strawberries from a food service distributor and try those with some raspberries or blackberries.

I think you are pretty much on track.

I've made 2 batches of Strawberry both turned out well. Though the first had the same issue you have experienced bit thin on taste and a not great colour.

The second batch I topped up with a syrup I made from dried rose petals this improved the colour and taste. I blended the first batch with a Pear and it was really good.

I've always just used tap water in air locks with no issues

I noticed both my Strawberries cleared quickly when compared to other fruits and they gradually degassed naturally

We have been using 25 pounds of strawberries for every 5 gallons. Gives a good flavor that is easy to drink. We have seen that the strawberry does take a decent amount of time to age to a good spot. Has quite the bite and off taste early on. But after like 4 or 5 months it tastes great.

Last edited:
Ditto. I have yet to make a great strawberry wine, but a good one with high quality fruit will have a flavor profile and complexity that rivals most grape blush wines. If you can get your hands on it, the Kerrigan brothers dry strawberry wine is a great commercial example.

We make a good strawberry wine by using 25 lbs per 6 gallons. It has a good taste and smell to it.

Hey there, New to this forum and wine making!
I've thrown myself together a strawberry wine from various recipes. (I've watched my dad brew beer, thats about it)
I made 5 gallons:
about 20lbs fresh strawberries
10lbs sugar
Campden tabs
1 packet white wine yeast (I don't remember what kind exactly, just what the gal at the brew supply gave me!)

What is this "Fpak" is? And about de-gassing, I have never heard of that until this forum!
I just strained the must and added sugar to that, and put that in a 6gallon carboy.
Starting gravity is 1.076 (which i've come to read is good, right?)

Next step suggestions? I read on here that it is better when in a smaller carboy, why? I do have a 5 gallon, but its going to fill that up to the neck!

Cheers, thanks in advance.. Sorry so many questions!
Jess

Jfulch - You need to go to Jack Keller's site ASAP. It would be a shame to waste your time, effort and those strawberries on a mistake. (Voice of experience here :slp )

Reference filling the carboy up to the neck... Strawberry wine will have a lot of lees and you will be topping off for at least the first 2 rackings after you leave the lees behind. That's one reason you want that initial concentration so that your end wine isn't too watered down. By the way 20 pounds is a little on the light side so you might give some thought to doing your secondary in 1 gallon carboys and letting the volume loss from lees take you down to 4 gallons total volume. I have started using at least 5-6 lbs of fruit per gallon for my wines (More if I have it available) while some folks go much higher - aiming to use virtually no added water in their wine. It all depends on what you like in terms of flavor.

There are several good discussions on Strawberry wine on this and other forums. Do some reading before you commit to your next action. But again Jack Keller has some very good instructions for beginners - although the one negative comment is that his wines recipes seem for a high alcohol lower flavor wine. Not always bad - depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, Scooter! I'm headed to his website now. I will take your advice to go down to 4gal total volume, hopefully save my berry flavor.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back