First batch of (peach) wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as headspace goes in the carboy, I also ordered some 3/4" Food Grade Delrin (Acetal) Balls https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=126144 as an alternative to marbles, not always knowing the source of marbles and if they are lead-free, to lessen the headspace in the secondary. The Acetal balls are heavier than water and would sink in the carboy.

I had no idea Delrin was that dense! IMHO, 1.4 g/cc is pretty surprising for a simple plastic.

Pay visit to your local recycling center. Sometimes it takes several visits but ususally you will find some small topped bottles and save yourself the drilling. Recently I found a batch of Kombucha tea bottles, glass with sealing material on the plastic screw caps. You can replace those with standard pre-drilled caps, drill those caps, or use a silicone cork. Just finished a batch of 35 bottles (Brand 'LaCrema' wine bottles) The labels peeled smoothly with very little residue and that cleaned off with a drop of dishsoap and a scrubbing pad. That recycling center can keep you well supplied is glass ware for your wine making. One last item "Carlo Rossi" wine 'jugs' are 4 liter (1 gallon + 7 oz) Those are great as carboys and you can rack from those down to a straight 1 gallon carboy and not have any topping off issues. OR keep it in the 4 liter container and on bottling day you should end up with 6=7 oz of your wine as your bottling day reward.

With a little innovation even small batch making [1 -3 gallons] can be a lot of fun. I stay with that size range because we are not huge wine drinkers and it's easier on my back to lift 3 gallons instead of 5 or 6 gallon carboys.

Wow, great tips on cheap bottles. I'm with you on saving the back and will likely just do 1-3 gallon batches going forward.

At that SG, I’d try both, adding some Fermaid O, and getting the temps up into the mid 70’s, racking when it got around 1.010.
Fermaid O finally came in today. SG is currently 1.017 at 72F (struggling to get it to 75). Two days ago it was 1.021, two before that 1.029, so it's moving. Should I still use the Fermaid O at this point? If so, do I just add the recommended amount 9g for the 6 gallons or only introduce half that amount and half again if necessary in a few days?

Fermaid O finally came in today. SG is currently 1.017 at 72F (struggling to get it to 75). Two days ago it was 1.021, two before that 1.029, so it's moving. Should I still use the Fermaid O at this point? If so, do I just add the recommended amount 9g for the 6 gallons or only introduce half that amount and half again if necessary in a few days?

Keep that heat up in the mid 70’s, and use 1/2 of a dose. Unless fermentation stops, you shouldn’t need more. This nutrient is ok to use near the end of AF, but you shouldn’t need a full dose.

I wrapped the bucket with two seedling heating mats with a thermostat control switch and for extra precaution through a timer on as well that runs an hour and cuts off for an hour and repeats. It's now averaging 75. I added 1/2 the recommended Fermaid O as a slurry. There was no date on it, they just have a batch number and it was pretty caked so I used a mortar to break it up through its original packaging before making the slurry. Thanks

My 2 gallon bucket is ready to rack. Does the long auto siphon designed for 6g buckets work okay in a 2g bucket? I ordered a mini siphon but it's not arriving for ~4 more days and I'm a bit concerned I'm pushing it too long to secondary. I did not use a filter bag and I'm still stirring daily to agitate 2" of sediment on the bottom and the larger chunks remain floating. All that's in this bucket is peaches, water, sugar and yeast. Nothing else. Recent SG readings:

9/18 1.005
9/19 1.001
9/21 1.000
9/23 0.996

Am I running the risk of introducing problems? Should I rack immediately or is there little risk of contamination/issues?

Whew, that's good news. The visual and audible signs have stopped, yet realize the only true indicator is the SG, yet with the 0.996 I didn't think there was anything left in the tank. The 71 degree temp on this particular bucket is probably working in my favor at this point. I'm a real WIP. Once again, I appreciate the help.

I can always through some sugar at it downstream, thinking peach wine might not be so good that dry??

That's fine to back-sweeten later on. I would never try to stop a fermentation in process. Hard to do and you don't know where it's actually going to stop if it does stop.

Agree that peach wine id much better off-dry or semi-sweet.

LOL, I did a peach wine once with MASSIVE amounts of solids.
Your 2g is going to end up as the top up for the 5g, and you may need more because the 2g will have solids too!
My apricot-ginger was the same way, it ended up as apple-apricot--ginger!

That's fine to back-sweeten later on. I would never try to stop a fermentation in process. Hard to do and you don't know where it's actually going to stop if it does stop.

Agree that peach wine id much better off-dry or semi-sweet.

I, too, agree. Peach wines sold commercially are typically very sweet; sickeningly sweet to my taste. I made my first batch of peach wine (bottled earlier this month) and back sweetened to off-dry. This brought the fruit flavor forward. Friends and family like it a lot. And IMHO it is delicious!

LOL, I did a peach wine once with MASSIVE amounts of solids.
Your 2g is going to end up as the top up for the 5g, and you may need more because the 2g will have solids too!
My apricot-ginger was the same way, it ended up as apple-apricot--ginger!
The 6.5 bucket is filled to about 1" from the top so I'm hoping to pretty much fill the 5g carboy and if necessary would add a filler product to minimize headspace. I was trying to avoid mixing the 2 batches because the 2g bucket is without additives but realize it's no big deal and I may well need some of it.

I, too, agree. Peach wines sold commercially are typically very sweet; sickeningly sweet to my taste. I made my first batch of peach wine (bottled earlier this month) and back sweetened to off-dry. This brought the fruit flavor forward. Friends and family like it a lot. And IMHO it is delicious!
When you back sweetened did you pretty much do it just before bottling and add a little sugar at a time and taste test to get it where you wanted it? I've got a long way to go, in both time to back sweeten and knowledge in general.

Latest posts

Back