First batch of easy grape wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddienlinda

Junior
Reaction score
First I will say that we are glad we came onto this forum. Great info here. Now to the nitty gritty. We made our first batch of easy grape wine from Welches grape juice after following the recipe used by 8 out of 10 makers on youtube. It fermented for a total of 7 days and came to a hault. We siphoned it off into another half gallon juice jug of same size as the Welches jug. Smell very strong, and after tasting about a cap full it also taste VERY strong. We capped it and put it in the cabinet to age for another 2 weeks before racking it again. 1 cup sugar, bakers yeast, and the 64 oz. jug of juice. Will this wine settle down some on the strong taste of alcahol? Taste like Morgan David. Wayyyyy strong...

Any wine only 2 weeks old needs an airlock, not capping. It is still releasing co2, which contributes heavily to the young sharp taste now that will subside over time. I don't cap till at least 9 months old, even then I check the wine first as I have have some still holding onto gas at a year or more of age.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back