First batch in bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterDrew

Junior
Reaction score
Yay! My first batch (Wine Expert's California Trinity Red) is in bottles. Came out to 26 2/3 bottles. So I corked the 26 and poured some from the remainder in a couple glasses for the myself and the lovely bride. I'm pretty stoked, even as young as this wine is, it still has more flavor than some of the commercial wines we've had. I can't wait to taste it a month from now, 2 months, 3 months... Oh.. and I should also mention that I started another kit (Wine Expert's Zinfandel / Cabernet) just to keep the ball rolling.

The first batch. Congratulations. I remember that day. I was pretty proud that it was as good as it was. I'm sure you are too. Enjoy it and keep cooking!

Great feeling isn't it? I've had my eye on the trinity red.. Good to hear it tasted good at bottling! I was thinking of using some zant currant raisins(made from vinefera grapes) in the primary to give it a little extra body.. On sale at northern brewer so I am very temped right now..

Congrats on the first bottling, and the new Bride!!

Excellent! Congratulations. It's like holding a new baby isn't it?

Congrats on the newborn. Now that you see how a youn g wine can come out imagine how it will be with like a year under its belt. Now get lots more cooking so that you can get a year under the cork of some wines cause if you dont they will never make it to that date. This is why you see lots of people with many many wines going. Once you get a good colection then you can slow down on making them unless you are a family of big drinkers.

:br Drew! Thats what its all about man!

No turning back now. I can tell by your voice that you are now officially HOOKED!!!

LOL.
:sm

Troy

congrats!
26 bottles is a bit low, usually beginners leave too much sediment behind on racking from the primary bucket to carboy. dont be afraid to bring over all liquid, even if its cloudy, even if its also some of the sediment. at that stage, salvaging as much of the wine is your primary goal. you can also pour the leftover cloudy liquid into a gallon jug and let the heavy solids settle out for a bit, then grab the remaining cloudy liquid as well.

same on carboy, if you are topping up to within 2" of the bottom of the stopper after clarifying/stabilizing, then you should be getting closer to 30 bottles or even a bit more if youre using italian glass carboys.

you can learn alot just reading the posts here, tips & tricks mostly. degassing is a common subject and something many beginners dont get quite right the first time.

after you get that zin/cab going i would suggest getting some white wines fermenting, two batches at least, because both of those reds are really going to show best after at least a years aging in the bottle... whites are generally quicker drinking and can be quite good in as little as 6 months... so its always nice to have several of bth reds and whites in different stages of maturation... also, for drinking almost immediately, consider using the leftover slurry from one of your reds as the starter for a batch if skeeter pee, which can make 5 gal+ for under $20 or so in ingredients and is ready to drink a few weeks after bottling.

also, for drinking almost immediately, consider using the leftover slurry from one of your reds as the starter for a batch if skeeter pee, which can make 5 gal+ for under $20 or so in ingredients and is ready to drink a few weeks after bottling.

I've had my eye on the pee for a few weeks now. Been drinking a boatload of Modelo's so I have enough bottles :)

thanks for the encouragement y'all. It's definitely a learning curve so far. I started brewing beer and wine at the same time so I've been doing double duty so far. I'm definitely hooked!

Yea, I was going to comment on the few bottles missing myself and got distracted (which is easy to do latety). Dont be so worried about racking over some lees as it will settle out later and just concentrate on getting all the wine you can possibly get out of each batch. I havent had to top up a kit inn years.

Back