WineXpert First batch, first bottle opened!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
It's very good! Opened my first bottle, from my first batch, tonight after bottling it two and a half months ago. It may be even more smooth in a couple more months, will be "testing" every two weeks. I've been nervous, but honestly it tastes as good as the Pinot Grigio I have been buying. So relieved and excited to start my next two batches, both Chardonnay. (WE World Vineyard Pinot Grigio, yeast pitched on 9/10/16 and bottled on 10/26/16.)

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Great to hear that it worked out. I see you let it sit in the bottle a few months prior to opening....did you let it sit in the carboy a number of months as well? Just curious if you did any long term storage on it. Again, good work.

Great to hear that it worked out. I see you let it sit in the bottle a few months prior to opening....did you let it sit in the carboy a number of months as well? Just curious if you did any long term storage on it. Again, good work.

Thank you. No, not aged prior to bottling at all. Pitched yeast on 9/10/16 and bottled 10/26. I did this in a store environment where I went several times to complete the steps. I think they want you to finish and take bottles home, instead of aging. The wine is lovely, after a little airing it was very smooth. No CO either. I'm thinking this level of kit is meant to be ready fairly quickly, and am pleased because it is encouraging to taste a good quality.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've got my first batch ever going right now. RJS Pinot Noir. It does say that it's a kit that can be bottled immediately upon the end of the estimated 4 week period, but I'm going to let mine sit about 3-6 months, then bottle. But it's promising to hear that yours, although a completely different wine, turned out well with no long term bulk aging.

Interesting. I've got my first batch ever going right now. RJS Pinot Noir. It does say that it's a kit that can be bottled immediately upon the end of the estimated 4 week period, but I'm going to let mine sit about 3-6 months, then bottle. But it's promising to hear that yours, although a completely different wine, turned out well with no long term bulk aging.

As a newbie, from what I have read, the red wines probably benefit more from the bulk aging. I am going to make higher end Chardonney kits and will bulk age those instead of bottling right away. However, that means I have to buy more carboys. :h

Hey, nice photos. Great looking labels. If you did the labels yourself you are obviously artistically gifted.

I guessed 3 months or less in the bottle before you opened it!! Hey, you did good....I did not last that long on my first batch!

I guessed 3 months or less in the bottle before you opened it!! Hey, you did good....I did not last that long on my first batch!

It was tough, but when I asked here a couple of months ago, I was advised to wait. Honestly, I was also a little worried it might not be good and then I would be disappointed. Although that did not stop me from buying the equipment and two more kits. Now, I am confident to start those kits. Thanks!

Congratulations!! Will you make your next batches at home or at the shop?

Thank you!
I bought the equipment and two kits, going to do it at home! Need to find a warm place, my house and basement are cold.

Thank you!
I bought the equipment and two kits, going to do it at home! Need to find a warm place, my house and basement are cold.

Good for you!

Cold isn't necessarily a bad thing. The cold makes fermentations go slower, which is great for whites. As long as the wine is within the range that the yeast likes, based on the manufacturer's information, you are good.

Latest posts

Back