First Batch Concerns, please advise

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
First let me tell you my ingredients. I used:
-2 gallons fruit juice, from concentrate.
-1 one gallon of water, to this I added 1 quart frozen wild raspberries, and 1 cup frozen low bush cranberries, I brought the water almost to a boil, removed from the heat and crushed the berries. I let this mixture cool to room temperature.
- 4 cups cane sugar
-2 oz. sodium metabisulfite solution(I dissolved 1/2 tsp. in 4.25 ounces of water and used 2 oz.
-1 pack brewing yeast, dissolved in water.( I know, rookie error!)

All equipment was sanitized using "One Step Cleanser" from Brewcraft.
I prepared all the ingredients and added them in the order outlined in the recipe I used off the internet. The container is equipped with an airlock, a tube running into a qallon jug filled with water.

-1 pack brewing yeast, dissolved in water.( I know, rookie error!)

Your other post says that you May have a ferment that has not started.

Please provide FULL details on the above quoted line. Type of yeast. Amount of water. Temp of water, How it was handled, etc etc etc.

Steve

Thanks for the Reply Steve. I used 11g Windsor Brewing yeast dissolved in 4 oz. water at around 90F, I sprinkled it on top and let is sit for 15 mins, then stirred gently and added it to the juices, I did not stir it in to the juice, This was all from directions on the back of the package. Any further advice is appreciated. Hate to lose the batch, even if it'll low alcohol and sweet. Thanks, Troy

Troy:

I have never used beer yeast in juice, but I have talked to others that have. They didn't seem to think that it was a problem.

I don't see any mention of specific gravity. Do you have a hydrometer? Have you taken any readings?

Sounds like you added the yeast right after the metabisulfite. This would inhibit the yeast from starting, but I THINK it would start after a day or two. Maybe you are being a little impatient.

Steve

Just seen fermation begin an hour ago!Yeah.Planning on getting a hydrometer as soon as I get back to the brew store. True, my excitement has made me impatient, and I realize wine isn't made overnight. Looks like the fruit pulp I added is floating at the top, will it settle? I'm using a 5 ga carboy by the way with 3 gal must in it, will this head space effect anything. Should I stir the first stage at all? Really appreciate you help. Hope I'm not being a pest.

One more quick question, in order to take a sg reading I will need to remove the airlock, I thought it was critical to leave it in place at all times, and how do I test it turkey baster?

One more quick question, in order to take a sg reading I will need to remove the airlock, I thought it was critical to leave it in place at all times, and how do I test it turkey baster?
Arrrggghhhhh. Different opinions. I won't do a primary in a carboy for various reasons. I don't use an air-lock during primary.

During primary fermentation there is a lot of CO2 and SO2 being generated that will help to protect the wine.

Steve

So I just remove the airlock and lets it finish the primary? That way I can access the cap also?

Don't know how to send you a private email yet, but I was gonna tell you I have CP tattoed on my left elbow. Good friend of mine, he and his dad crashed their airplane several years ago. CP stands for cabbage patch, he was that goofy. His name was Larry, his father was Rod. So I guess that makes me a CP Fan as well. He'd be tickled to see me taking wine making to this level. So for him and his father, I reserve the first glass(or bottle)!!!!!!

As long as the wine is going through primary fermentation an airlock is not necessary, simply cover the hole with a wash cloth to keep any thing from getting into the wine. I don't ferment in carboys, if making wine from fruit how are you going to press the cap that forms? During fermentation the fruit will rise to the top (called a cap) which needs to be pushed down at least twice a day to keep it moist. This helps with color extraction but also helps prevent bacteria from forming on the dried fruit. Going foward I would recommend buying a food grade 5 of 6 gal pail with a lid. During primary fermentation just keep the lid on loose.

Latest posts

Back