Quantcast

First batch at skeeter...

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Skinard

Reaction score
I haven't had any "skeeter before, but I've tried hard lemonade from the local packy and mine is way better if I do say so myself. We'll have a few now but probably save the bulk for summer. Alot of fun making it and learned a few things in the process. Lemonade.jpg

Skinard

Reaction score
You'll have to forgive the grammarish errors. I have been sampling a few in the process of bottling. :)

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Nice labels! S. P. Is fun to make, fast & good to drink. Great on the rocks around the pool or on the boat or patio. Enjoy, Roy

Skinard

Reaction score
Nice labels! S. P. Is fun to make, fast & good to drink. Great on the rocks around the pool or on the boat or patio. Enjoy, Roy
Thanks. The labels were fun to make too. A little photoshop, keep it simple, a little personal symbolism, and voila. It's the perfect summer fun sipper.

Reaction score
Nice labels! 14% might catch up to you on a skeeter pee! Did you end up back sweetening it or leaving any residual sugar? I have had really good luck with the skeeter pees at about 10%ABV and 1 or 2%RS. Looks like you might need to adjust your corker a bit there. Cheers.

Skinard

Reaction score
Nice labels! 14% might catch up to you on a skeeter pee! Did you end up back sweetening it or leaving any residual sugar? I have had really good luck with the skeeter pees at about 10%ABV and 1 or 2%RS. Looks like you might need to adjust your corker a bit there. Cheers.
I let it go completely dry then back sweetened with about 4.5 cups sugar to about 5.5 gallons. Next time I may cut the sugar back a bit. 14% is high for skeeter from what I have read, but my wife and I like a little kick and I figured what the heck. Worst thing that can happen is we have another baby, and I like kids, so... I did notice that my corks were a little high, but it didn't occur to me to adjust the corker. Duh me. Thanks!

Skinard

Reaction score
Wow, very clear. Nice work.
Thank you. This batch was the first time I have used sparkoloid, and I have read great things about it, but it didn't seem to work well for me. It cleared somewhat but was still cloudy. When I did a subsequent racking I added bentonite and that cleared it up the rest of the way. Learning from a previous mistake I was very careful on the final racking. I actually left a bottle's worth of sp on the bottom. I carefully took that remaining bottle's worth out in a separate container (which did pick up a bit of cloudiness), let it settle a bit and shared and drank it when bottling. I am probably going to invest in a pump and filter at some point in the near future which, I am assuming, will make this process easier.

Country

Reaction score
I never worried about the clarity of my SP, I guess because lemonade has a haze to it. But after seeing yours, I’m going to up my game :br

Skinard

Reaction score
I never worried about the clarity of my SP, I guess because lemonade has a haze to it. But after seeing yours, I’m going to up my game :br
Well gee. Being a totally clueless novice, I did not expect my stuff to be an inspiration for anyone. Thanks for that.

I suppose the cloudiness doesn't matter in a practical sense, especially if we're just drinking it ourselves. Maybe it's just that a clear wine makes me feel good about the job I've done, and I am not reluctant to give away a bottle or bring one or two to a gathering. They're pretty to look at.

meadmaker1

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose the cloudiness doesn't matter in a practical sense, especially if we're just drinking it ourselves. Maybe it's just that a clear wine makes me feel good about the job I've done, and I am not reluctant to give away a bottle or bring one or two to a gathering. They're pretty to look at.[/Quoate]

Looking good doesnt mean a good product but looking bad too often means a bad product.

Last edited:

Latest posts