first bad cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine

Reaction score
the first time I have run in to a bad cork ,,, I never had a bad one ,I always get natural cork and #9 ,,, never the cheap ones ... I took a aug bottled 2010 plum that has sat on its side all the time ,, tried to start the screw in the cork ,, the cork pushed right down in to the bottle ,, very very little pressure the screw never even started into the cork .. but it never leaked a drop all the time on the side .. I can not taste any thing so will have to have the wife taste it .. she is not feeling real good tonight so will have to wait til another day to see how bad it will taste any one run into that bad of a cork but never leak for over 4 years ???

Hmmm. Could it be that the bottle is a little wider at the neck? are you sure that it is the cork? Is this the only bottle from that batch that has this problem?

Are you trying to use a screw cap bottle? I'm pretty sure they are slightly larger than a corked bottle.

no screw cap ,,, I broke the bottle so I could look at the cork ,, must have gotten one bad one cause it looks like it just fell apart ,, guess only one out of all I have used is a good thing ,, looked at the others corked of that batch and there all good .. I never save the screw bottles

Next time you get a cork in a bottle, take a plastic shopping bag, slide it in beside the cork and blow air into the bag, then pull, the cork will come out. I believe there is a uTube that shows you how to do it.

Latest posts

Back