First Attempt Using Frozen Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the temperature? I'd be pretty surprised if it's stuck so early. Can you see any evidence of fermentation? Did you proof your yeast before starting?

But you have had your trial here! By next fall, you'll know what to do and not do and be ready for harvest.

What's the temperature? I'd be pretty surprised if it's stuck so early. Can you see any evidence of fermentation? Did you proof your yeast before starting?

But you have had your trial here! By next fall, you'll know what to do and not do and be ready for harvest.

Followed protocol for yeast rehydration starting with 110° F for the GoFerm Protect, then at 104° slowly added the D21. Let that sit for 20 minutes, then slowly added a small amount of juice. Same thing I did for the Eclipse kit. Same protocol for the EC1118. But, like you said, got it out of the way.

I'll check the SG tomorrow night or Tuesday morning; want to give the new yeast time to propagate.

I think you may have jumped to soon to assume it was having problems. I don't measure the sg ever 12 hours, heck not even every 24 hours. Particularly, if I see some evidence of fermentation.
Measured it at start on Thursday at 7:00 pm and not again until Saturday when it read 1.054. You would expect that within another 12 hours it continue it's downward progress, seems to me anyway.

Did you add Fermaid as planned?
I did that yesterday afternoon, along with the Opti-Red and Lallazyme. Five hours later I checked the SG. Perhaps I'm wrong about my perception, but just doesn't seem to be much going on there, but not throwing in the towel yet.

Measured it at start on Thursday at 7:00 pm, and it was around 21 brix, well below stated 25.2 by supplier, and not again until Saturday when it read 1.054. That's why I'm concerned that AF started in transit; not sure how else the SG goes from a stated 11.107 to 1.054 in 48 hours. You would expect that within another 12 hours it continue it's downward progress, seems to me anyway.
That lid looks bloated...

I sure hope you can get this wine going... Any word on the other two buckets? This late spring heat is a killer...
I looked at WineGrapesDirect and the vineyard description was virtually identical (it's since been changed) for the grapes from my vendor, though they were $99/pail delivered (I guess you get what you pay for). The label indicated these came from Bulk Grapes / Wine - Misson Wines – Family-Owned Vineyard. WGD indicates Brix 25.4, pH 3.78, TA .55, and my "supplier" indicated Brix 26.75, pH 3.79, TA .59. Guess my question is, did your initial readings confirm their estimates to be correct? And, were they frozen???

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I'm not the best resource, because of proximity, to help you gauge the certainty the must would arrive frozen from WGD. When I deal with WGD, I drive and pick up the grapes. It's worth it for me to drive 2 hours because I save on the shipping and have been buying in lots of 10+ pails each time.

However, Brehm is in Portland metro too and I have ordered grapes from them and they were shipped (FedEx) via a well insulated box and arrived frozen solid. It only took two days to get to my house but they did arrive frozen. And, it took 3 days to thaw enough to get the grapes out of the pail and the core was still mostly frozen.

Email Andrew at WGD and just ask about the shipping: [email protected]

Again, great guys to work with...

And, the advertised readings were within a few 100ths of my tests... Didn't check Brix, though. Not worried about the ABV...

Tim, I'm not the best resource, because of proximity, to help you gauge the certainty the must would arrive frozen from WGD. When I deal with WGD, I drive and pick up the grapes. It's worth it for me to drive 2 hours because I save on the shipping and have been buying in lots of 10+ pails each time.

However, Brehm is in Portland metro too and I have ordered grapes from them and they were shipped (FedEx) via a well insulated box and arrived frozen solid. It only took two days to get to my house but they did arrive frozen. And, it took 3 days to thaw enough to get the grapes out of the pail and the core was still mostly frozen.

Email Andrew at WGD and just ask about the shipping: [email protected]

Again, great guys to work with...

And, the advertised readings were within a few 100ths of my tests... Didn't check Brix, though. Not worried about the ABV...
Thanks, I appreciate the information and email.

Just read thru this whole thread. Unless I missed it I don’t think you described what’s going on visually with the wines.
Are the grapes forming a dry cap still? Whenyou punch down are you seeing the wine all bubbly and purple? Or is it sitting there wet and dead?
Should be fairly easy to determine if it’s active testing aside. I never had a cap stop forming until the end. And sometimes the SG drop can trick ya -slowing to a halt and then picking up like gangbusters.

Likely my rookie eyes, but the cap just appears to be lifeless. I checked the SG tonight and it's down to 1.039, so can't really say if it's the new yeast or, as you say, the original fermnation taking a break then starting back again in earnest. After watching the Eclipse come alive as it did, this batch just seemed to sit there, and given the condition when it arrived, guess I just thought the worst. I'll update when/if it hits 0.996.

In the mean time I bought some Uvaferm 43 just in case I need it for a future problem fermentation. Hard to believe all the stuff I've purchased already just to support this new hobby, just like having a track car.

This appears headed towards .996 and have kicked around leaving it on the skins for a week before MLF but don’t want to invite bacteria. It’s in a brute 20 gal with a plastic lid. I’ve seen no kmeta since it will thwart MLF; just curious if anyone has concerns about that plan. Thanks!

Congrats. I am not an expert, but I would not leave it that long in the brute. Too much oxygen and spoilage potential. It's time to press into carboys, and than rack after 2-3 days off the gross lees.
Thanks for that. I wondered about oxygen penetration. What are you guys fermenting in when you do EM?

Thanks for that. I wondered about oxygen penetration. What are you guys fermenting in when you do EM?
As a home winemaker and not a winery some things just aren’t realistic. Though smaller volumes can use that “big mouth bubbler” thing.

A couple times when timing wasn’t working out - and its dry by Friday night but I can’t press till Sunday, I’ve covered the cap with some sanitized plastic. A few layers. Plus the lid. But that’s risking the dreaded h2s also.

getting max out of those skins within a hobbyists means safely* is often discussed here. Some try temp control. Enzymes. Cold soaking the must. Split batches for multiple yeast strains Etc. different tricks. Some easier than others. the never ending pursuit of great wine! But start getting cocky and the wine likes to show ya who’s boss with some curveballs.
Getting quality fruit is the first step- which isn’t easily accessible to everyone. My top priority is always a complete and healthy fermentation 1st. Getting cute is 2nd

It stuck for a couple of days so I decided to rack and press the grapes into another carboy, then used Uvaferm 43. It’s currently going through MLF so I’ll be testing my new toy to monitor the progress. Not holding my breath, but hopefully will have a better idea in a few weeks. Thanks for asking.

It’s currently going through MLF so I’ll be testing my new toy to monitor the progress. Not holding my breath, but hopefully will have a better idea in a few weeks.

So sorry this has been a complete nightmare for you. I ordered “fresh” cuttings from this same company and they arrived dried out and lifeless. I used rooting hormone and put them in a planter but I’m not expecting much. Time will tell.

Hello all, this shipment was damaged and a full refund was provided to the buyer. We apologize for the inconvenience. If there is ever a damaged bucket in transit, we refund 100% or immediately reship without any questions asked even though UPS/FedEx will not reimburse us for transit delay related damage to "perishable goods". This goes to our customer satisfaction guarantee.

UPS had some issues delivering during the months of April/May and we tried to add extra thermal padding and cold packs after the issues with this particular shipment.

Hope to earn your business in the future!

BTW - we also have pickup options from our warehouse in Portland. It is located near PDX airport.

Latest posts

Back