First Attempt Using Frozen Must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a pail of Cabernet Sauvignon from them that arrived on Friday. It took five days to get t Denver. It was thawed when I got home at six but still very cold. It smelled and tasted great and fermentation is progressing well.

I also ordered a few buckets from them. You can tell the fruit is machine harvested, which is fine, but you should be prepared to pull some sticks, leaves, and bugs from the must after it’s thawed. Also, take their brix and ph readings with a grain of salt. For example the 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon buckets arrived with brix between 22-23 and PH between 3.96 - 4.0. The 2019 bucket I bought was 23.5 brix and PH of 3.94. I can’t tell you how many times I calibrated my meter to verify (even bought more PH solution just to make sure). Anyway, nothing a bit of balancing can’t fix. Overall I’d recommend it for the price but when you want to make something really special look at buying from Peter at Brehm!

Sorry I've been absent from this thread for so long. Was in the process of selling my business, and now that I'm finished with that project it's time to focus on what's important: Making good wine!

While the initial presentation of the merlot was a bit disappointing, I did get it to complete AF and MLF, then bulk stored it with oak for about ten months before bottling. Can't say it wasn't clumsy, given it was my first wine from fruit, but the results were far from disappointing. Since it was my first go, I don't really have a point of reference to compare the fruit to another vintage, but it's more than drinkable. Bottled it about 30 days ago and will uncork one and report back when we return from Paso Robles in August.

I will say that if you like what they offer, it can be compelling since their prices are delivered. If you want to go past just pails, they offer barrels what hold about 500 pounds of must in each. If my math is correct, that's 2.5 tons of grapes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
.25 tons, still a lot! :h
Duh, yah, guess I was confusing pounds and gallons. but still not a bad deal if the fruit if good, and so far the results indicate it is. Just going to wait until it's really cold to place another order so it stays frozen ;-)

Latest posts

Back