First attempt at port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjzalew

Reaction score
I used a combination of Wade's Strawberry Orange port recipe and another recipe, I decided to make a 6 gal batch ( not sure why ) so I doubled everything..I thought I was carefull but when I tested the SG it was all the way up to 1.5..I'm not sure how much water to add, I'll have to split it up into two primary's..Is there another way to get the SG down without adding that much water? And I still have to have enough room for about 3.8L of Everclear
Thanks
Steve

I used a combination of Wade's Strawberry Orange port recipe and another recipe, I decided to make a 6 gal batch ( not sure why ) so I doubled everything..I thought I was carefull but when I tested the SG it was all the way up to 1.5..I'm not sure how much water to add, I'll have to split it up into two primary's..Is there another way to get the SG down without adding that much water? And I still have to have enough room for about 3.8L of Everclear
Thanks
Steve

i would add a little water and use a yeast that's high sg tolerable. you might be able to get it going that way and need less everclear.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Hydrometer dont go that high so Im guesssing that you mean 1.150? If thats the case Id leave it and just use a strong yeast like Premier Cuvee or EC-1118. Ive made many Ice wine and port kits that have started that high.

Wade,
LOL I'm writing my college and asking for a refund...Yes, it was 1.15, I did use premier cuvee, It's boiling away good now, stirring couple times a day, I'll check the SG maybe tomorrow, I've got a Amarone to bottle as well.
Thanks
Steve

Latest posts

Back