First attempt at Mead-Making

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by Stew Anderson, Dec 29, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 29, 2018 #1

Stew Anderson

Stew Anderson

Stew Anderson

Junior

Looking to revisit my Viking heritage by immersing myself in the art of making mead. Looking at the plethora of mead recipes out there....just do not know where to start.

Looking to make one gallon of a high-alcohol, slightly bitter mead. Any formulations that anyone would want to share?

Thanks!

Stew

PS: Many formulas call for small amounts of calcium sulfate and calcium carbonate--> pH adjustment and/or increasing water hardness? Is this necessary?

2. Jan 11, 2019 #2

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

I’m thinking of going down the mead path too. Looking at recipes now. As to the water adjustments - I plan to start with bottled spring water and letting it be.

3. Jan 11, 2019 #3

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

So you have tasted mead and like it?? I love honey, the taste of honey all that sort of stuff, but just can't get into mead, no matter how often I try it. It's just me, I know, a few folks can't get enough of it.

4. Jan 11, 2019 #4

Stew Anderson

Stew Anderson

Stew Anderson

Junior

I have a gallon carboy of mead, a honey/maple syrup base.

The primary fermentation is now complete. I have 15+ mm of sediment on the bottom. The mead itself appears as an amber, translucent fluid.

I will now syphon off to another sanitized 1 gallon carboy. Should I add 1-600 mg Campden tablet to this?

Looking then to bottle the mead and let it age. Thanks!