First 2 batch bottled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drizztkun

Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought id share, This weekend i bottled my first two wine, Wine Expert Pinot Noir, and Island Mist strawberry white merlot. Allow me to say that removing labels and cleaning 60 bottles was quite a bit of work, wah didnt think it be such a pain to remove labels. Funny thing is when i went to rent the equipment the guy asked if i wanted to rent a floor corker, and i said no since a friend was bringing one to help me out, turns out he forgot it, and he lives quite a ride from my place. sucky part the shop near by i go wherent open on a sunday so had to do a long drive elsewhere to get one, and i decided to buy it in the head since i didnt feel like having to drive there the next day to bring it back. so now i have my own :)

I ended up filtering both wine, the red had been sitting for almost 2 months and the island mist has been ready for couple of weeks now, but i was impressed on how much "shiner" it was after.

I tried the last bottle filled of each. The white merlot isnt bad, better then the raspberry merlot i tried from a friend, i'll let it age so more before trying again.

As for the pinot noir, well as i expecting from other people review here its quite a too thin for my taste, i'll give it way more time to age and see how it goes.

Now im wondering what to make next. prolly another quick drinker. Im tempted to start a barollo or a shiraz. the guy at the shop suggested the Trinity Red, saying it had nice body and i would like it, i dunno. Also maybe one of those skeeter pee maybe

Ive heard mixed reviews on the Trinity but havent tried it. I only make kits with grape packs after the first few red wine kits that just didnt cut it as far as having enough body or tannins for my taste.These grape skin kits are much different and ar chock full of tannin and body.

for a quicker drinker i would make a mid-range white wine. i wouldnt consider any red a quick drinker personally. i think the majority of complaints about the reds have alot to do with drinking them too early....

removing labels is easier if you just soak the bottles in a tub full of water and a couple scoops of oxyclean for 24-48 hours. most will fall of or slide off after that. the ones that dont, dont usually take much to get off.

for a quicker drinker i would make a mid-range white wine. i wouldnt consider any red a quick drinker personally. i think the majority of complaints about the reds have alot to do with drinking them too early....

removing labels is easier if you just soak the bottles in a tub full of water and a couple scoops of oxyclean for 24-48 hours. most will fall of or slide off after that. the ones that dont, dont usually take much to get off.

could you just come over and convince my wife to let them soak for this long? :) was hard to get away with 1 or 2 hours, i admit i didnt try to add oxyclean

And for the quick drinker i didnt mean the red, but the island mist :)

Wade: yeah i hear you, i was thinking to do one more in the mid range lvl first, just to make sure i get it done right, then prolly gonna try that mosti mondial one, or the top quality of WE or RJ spagnols, just found out a place 2 block away that sells water has wine kit, and it's RJ spagnols they carry

I soaked 24 bottles today in the utility tub. I forgot about them until my step daughter said she needed to do a load of laundry. Four thound outfits and the one she wants to wear tomorrow is dirty.

Most of the labels slipped off or needed a little scrubbing. I'll try the oxy clean next time, I have 13 dozen more to do.

Last year I looked at getting bottles etched. Just with my wine company name and a few other details. I'd label the year and wine. Smaller label and easier to remove. It would be too much $$$$$

I give oxy clean a shot.

Thanks

I soak them like rawlus says but they also come off pretty easy dry if using a razor scraper down the bottle very quickly. I do it this way when I need bottles fast and dont want to soak them that long or want to clean the tub from all the scum left there from all the label glue.

I think they are about the same taste wise but the RJS are easier to degas due to being in the primary till dry and the fining agent works much better and faster!

Latest posts

Back