finishing strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I've got six gallons of strawberry that I'm about ready to backsweeten and bottle. It bulk-aged about seven months.

test results:
tartaric = .62
pH = 3.4 -3.4

I think I need to pick up a SO2 test kit and shoot for ~40ppm on that. Recommendations on an all-purpose kit for SO2?

Anything I should worry about at this point?

-Ken

Thanks for the link!

Is there a test that is reliable when tannin has been used?

Make sure that you add sorbate before sweetening.

Steve

No it isnt.

A well made strawberry wine is full of flavor and therefore not needs an f-pack.
I have never used an f-pack on strawberries and I must say I have never made an f-pack at all and yet my wines will match any of yours I bet !!!

I truely believe you all use to little fruit when you make wines and therefore need adding f-packs to get some flavor out.
This is not good winemaking practice, and certainly something you should not learn novice winemakers.

Luc

Hey everyone...

The strawberry was made with brown sugar and 35 pounds of strawberries, most from my strawberry bed. It received k-meta, sorbate and a 20 pound fpac in September. It's been bulk ageing since then. I decided against backsweetening. I can always add simple syrup at decanting, but I'm really enjoying the taste of it as-is.

I bottled 26 bottles this morning before I ran out of corks. It was my first bottling job, and I'm glad I splurged on the portugese floor corker! I can see that next time, I'll need more room and should plan for extra bottles and corks.

It worked out fairly well as it left me about 2 gallons to blend with the peach. I'll let that stuff age for another couple of months and see how it develops!

I agree with Luc. I use 28# strawberries. I like my wines semi dry and find a lot of flavor in the number of #'s of fruit that I use. I have a feeling that those who use f-packs also backsweeten to semi-sweet or sweet. My wife likes semi-sweet to sweet and she is happy with what I make for her.

It received k-meta, sorbate and a 20 pound fpac in September. It's been bulk ageing since then. I decided against backsweetening.

To me adding an F-pack is one form of back sweetening. It adds sugars to the wine post-fermentation thus increasng the sweetness.

Steve

Latest posts

Back