finish a wine,,,,,,,hmmmm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirden1959

Reaction score
Hi all,

over the summer thought it be cool to submit my pear wine to the state fair I got 2nd place out of about 20 differant home made wines. Once I get the judging score cards, I will post what they said.. then ask for your thoughts on how to imporve it.

For now here is my question:

1) Both judges said I need to finish the wine. So whats the bets way to "finish" a wine to give it a better taste? Sorry what I have read on it makes little sence to me.

2) What about using egg white to finish a wine?

3) I read banana juice works good to inhance wine body (light/white wines)

I have sweet cherry wine brewing (fermenting 3 day old) and well I want to improve my wine after all its a learning proccess... and I recvieve the best advice here.

Sirden, was your wine sparkling clear and was it properly aged. These are the first two things that come to my mind. Remember it is a competition and they are looking for perfection.

You did pretty damn good! You should be proud of 2nd place. I took third on two of mine last week and others didn't even place! Awesome job :br

The banana soup will add some needed body in fruit wines like this or you could even use glycerin. Do not use egg whites to fine a wine unless you are looking to get rid of tannins that are too astringent like in a red wine that may heve been pressed to hard or sat on the skins too long. You dont need to fine a wine but it will need lots of time or colder temps to help the lees an or tartaric acid fall out. Was there sediemnt in the bottles and was it wispy or crystal like? A white wine going into a competion will really benefit from being fine filtered as it just polishes it like a show car would look.

Latest posts

Back