Finings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBCUK

Junior
Reaction score
Hello.

I would like to make my wine as pure as possible and my father in law used to make his own, without finings or staberliser.

Do you have to use finings? obviously it all depends on the wine and when I choose to rack it up, is there any tips out there to help the settling process without using finings?

Thanks!

You don't always have to. If you take the time to let gravity do its job, many wine will drop crystal clear.

Great. Im using an 7 day wine kit. So am I right in saying it will stop fermenting quicker than usual so by 3 weeks it will have settled.

Great. Im using an 7 day wine kit. So am I right in saying it will stop fermenting quicker than usual so by 3 weeks it will have settled.

maybe, maybe not. only way you'll know is to look it over in 3 weeks. without any finings, I'd wager closer to a month to drop clear. cooling the finished wine might help clear it too.

Are you not going to use the stabilizer or sulfites either? If not using stabilizer you are talking months to assure the wine is still prior to bottling. If it sets months you risk oxidation from no sulfites.

I have stabilizer but wanted to keep the wine as pure as possible.. If it needs it to clear then Ill have to add it.. my father in law used to make wine himself without adding anything but yeast.. As long as I can get it to clear the wine will be consumed within a few weeks.

If I was going to make a fine wine that I want to age, I do need to use stabilizer and sulfites?

You are going to drink 30 bottles of wine in a few weeks? :re, A 1/4 tsp of sulfite is nothing at all to protect your wine from oxidation and to also protect you from the bacteria that is always present in wine from coming to life and making you possibly sick but its your wine and your life, just silly to chance any of that over 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons! If I were you thogh I wouldnt go sweetening any wine cause without those to chemicals in your wine it will just start fermenting again.

Latest posts

Back