finings derived from shellfish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
I have a friend who regularly comes over and drinks some wine with me, and he has been diagnosed with a pretty bad shellfish allergy. I know some of the fining/clearing agents such as Super Kleer say they are derived from shellfish. Is there a chance of an allergic reaction to my wine if I clear with one of these agents? I generally don't use them unless I need to, but I have some super kleer on hand just in case.

Given that I've never seen him have an allergic reaction to any store bought wine, I kinda think no is the answer. Anybody know for sure?

This is something that I have actually spoken to the Technical Adviser of SuperKleer on about 2 years ago and he stated due to the processing procedures of the proteins there is no chance of this allergen being set off. The process taken removes any chance of this.

Thanks Wade, that will make me breathe easier when he is over. He carries an epi-pen now for it, but I'd really rather not use it.

This is something that I have actually spoken to the Technical Adviser of SuperKleer on about 2 years ago and he stated due to the processing procedures of the proteins there is no chance of this allergen being set off. The process taken removes any chance of this.

Good info :br

and wineries in the US are not permitted to use Chitosin in clearing their wines because it is a shellfish derivative

Latest posts

Back