Fining and reducing acidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdrew

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my second batch of wine. It's sort of a blush wine from an unknown grape. On my third go around next year, I will try pressing the grapes before fermentation to reduce some of the acidity I can taste, and bring the color lighter.

Initially I was planning on adding some sugar to help with the acidity and ... Punchy taste of the wine. I tried aerating it, and that helped a bit. But, after reading about various fining agents, it appears some of them are dual purpose for both clarifying the wine, and dialing back that acidity.

After doing a blind taste test with my wife and neighbor, we settled on 2/3c simple syrup per gallon. (simple syrup being 1:1 water and sugar)

https://winemakermag.com/26-a-clearer-understanding-of-fining-agents

I like the descriptions of egg whites, and Sparkalloid.

egg whites are normally for reducing bitterness from tannin. sparkalloid is a fining agent but should not affect acidity. your sugar syrup is best presently. the acidity does not come from the skins but the fact the grapes were not ripe. any acid adjustment is best done pre-fermentation. use of potassium carbonate at the present stage can reduce acidity.

Latest posts

Back