Fining agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applelover12

Reaction score
For red wine , is it OK just to use one fining agent and not 2 as the kits has?

Will fining agent strip flavors?

Fining Stripper

It depends on what you are using to "fine" with as to what it may or may not remove along with any detritus. There are dozens of fining agents available. I have only used bentonite and it works but not for removing pectic haze/enzymes from a peach wine. At least it didn't for me. Excessive use of bentonite can result in some aroma loss. Since I leave my reds in a carboy for almost 10 months before bottling I've never experienced clarity issues. If you're wanting a faster turnaround then fining may be warranted. You definitely want to be careful when using activated carbon. It can strip aroma and flavor components. Another option is filtering before bottling. That has it caveats as well though.

For red wine , is it OK just to use one fining agent and not 2 as the kits has?

Will fining agent strip flavors?

The two-part fining agents in your kit are designed to work together. I would use both. I've used them in the past without any appreciable loss of flavor.

The other option would be to skip the fining agents in the kit and bulk-age for a period of time to let the wine clear and degass on it's own. I do six months, some folks do a year. I always check before bottling to be sure the wine is clear and degassed.

Latest posts

Back