Fining agent for coffee wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1 gallon and a 1/2 gallon batch to play with. I'm thinking possibly a tsp per gallon but adding it in increments. We'll see, that's months away.
Are you waiting until you backsweeten before adding vanilla extract? I expect the sugar will alter the taste perception, so waiting until then is probably a good idea.

Are you using commercial vanilla extract or home made? Using the stuff I make, I'd add 1/2 tsp to the batch, give it a week to integrate, then taste test. [My current batch steeped for 4.5 years -- I didn't need it and forgot about it under the sink.]

Are you waiting until you backsweeten before adding vanilla extract? I expect the sugar will alter the taste perception, so waiting until then is probably a good idea.

Are you using commercial vanilla extract or home made? Using the stuff I make, I'd add 1/2 tsp to the batch, give it a week to integrate, then taste test. [My current batch steeped for 4.5 years -- I didn't need it and forgot about it under the sink.]
This wine is BEGGING and SCREAMING to be back sweetened and I'll do that first. I'll start with the 1/2 gallon and probably use a dark brown sugar syrup and see what that gets me.

Definitely home made extract! I don't know why people still buy commercial? My current batch is only 9 months old. I used 100 proof vodka and have been meaning to start another with Everclear.

Using a small amount, taste, wait, taste again is a good idea. I hadn't thought about the wait and taste again part.

Thanks, I thought that was a possibility. If I wanted some kind of vanilla wine that's where I would have started - and a vanilla wine doesn't really appeal to me. At least not right now.

I have a 1 gallon and a 1/2 gallon batch to play with. I'm thinking possibly a tsp per gallon but adding it in increments. We'll see, that's months away.

Wanna taste something that went overboard (at least in my wife and my opinion) with the vanilla taste. Apothic Merlot, being that it had the Apothic name, I expected at least a hint of vanilla, but this went way overboard with it. Tasted like they added extract as well. You might want to think about adding one vanilla bean while your wine ages, instead of the extract.

I joined a group on Facebook that makes bulk purchases of vanilla beans, and posts recipes. IIRC, they recommend 80 proof vodka or bourbon, but not stronger. I can't recall why and need to look it up.
I read in multiple places that a higher proof alcohol will pull out more flavor in the infusions. I used 80 proof for years then went to 100. I tested side by side and the higher proof definitely smells and tastes better. Funny...you read they recommend 80 proof, I've read never go below 100. Either way, home made infusions are the way to go.

I read in multiple places that a higher proof alcohol will pull out more flavor in the infusions.
My memory was a big fuzzy. The following is from the group's FAQ:

As a group we recommend 80-100 proof alcohol, which is the same as 40%-50% alcohol by volume. You should never use less than 70 proof (or 35% alcohol by volume), and it is not recommended to use higher than 100-120 proof. If you choose to use high-proof Everclear, you will need to dilute it with distilled water or you may end up with crunchy dried out beans. For a non-alcoholic extract, you can use food-grade glycerin. There are recipes in the files section on Indri's Vanilla Bean Group Facebook page.

My memory was a big fuzzy. The following is from the group's FAQ:

As a group we recommend 80-100 proof alcohol, which is the same as 40%-50% alcohol by volume. You should never use less than 70 proof (or 35% alcohol by volume), and it is not recommended to use higher than 100-120 proof. If you choose to use high-proof Everclear, you will need to dilute it with distilled water or you may end up with crunchy dried out beans. For a non-alcoholic extract, you can use food-grade glycerin. There are recipes in the files section on Indri's Vanilla Bean Group Facebook page.
Ah, maybe my memory was fuzzy too. I may have read about using Everclear and then just assuming it could be used for all extracts. Personally I'm happy using 100 proof and will never go back to 80.

One of my favorites from last year was a cherry extract. Tastes really good. When it's done you can eat the cherries. In fact they're called "Boozy Cherries".

Latest posts

Back