Other Finer Wine Zinfandel ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
haven't made a Zinfandel yet and am looking for some feedback from folks that have tackled a Finer Wine Zin - either kit variety.

Thanks in advance & Cheers!

I have several batches of FWK Zins in the pipeline, all with double skin pack but none bottled yet. FWKs are not even a year old yet so it may be a bit too soon to tell but sample tastings have been very good, hopes are high.
Same here. My FWK zin with double skin packs is 8 months aging. Good in all ways at last tasting a couple months ago but needs more time in the carboy.

The first FWK I made was a Tavola Zin with one skin pack. Amazing. I have quite a few others now in bulk aging, all double skin packs. I’ve also moved to the Forte series. They are all very very good. Now that I have a few going and some SP/DB I can use some patience on these and really let them age a bit more. I also did an EM on all of them for about 8 weeks.

Gonna give the Tavola with No skins a whirl...
I made the Tavola Barbara with no skin packs. I may not have any left at the 1 year mark (August). 🤣

I have a pair of triple Forte batches in barrel, which will be bottled Nov/Dec, and a Tavola Pinot Noir (no skins) ships today. For these kits I figure I'm doing Tavola no skins or Forte, nothing in between. Drink 'em now or drink 'em much later.

I made the Tavola Barbara with no skin packs. I may not have any left at the 1 year mark (August). 🤣

I have a pair of triple Forte batches in barrel, which will be bottled Nov/Dec, and a Tavola Pinot Noir (no skins) ships today. For these kits I figure I'm doing Tavola no skins or Forte, nothing in between. Drink 'em now or drink 'em much later.

This FWK Zin is gonna be an early drinker...so I'm with ya @winemaker81

Curious how long did you bulk age your Tavola Barbara no skins for ? Any oak during aging?

Cheers!

Curious how long did you bulk age your Tavola Barbara no skins for ? Any oak during aging?
I aged 4 months on 1 oz medium toast Hungarian oak, bottling at the 5 month mark. Currently at 8 months, it's very good. I understand the POV of Matteo & Matt in their end of year video.

We put the Super Tuscan and a home blend Rhone (Syrah, Petite Sirah, Merlot) in the barrels at the 4 month mark. VERY surprising, both wines were very good at that point. Not "I'm ready to bottle" good, but not tasting like a 4 month hold heavy duty red. We'll bottle Nov/Dec, and I'm expecting them to be ready to rock by next February. However, I'm going to hold off (well, for the most part) for another year. These have enough body that I'm expecting to get 5 to 7 years from them.

I find the Forte kits to be totally drinkable (and enjoyable) at only 3 months...I am sure at 1 yr they'll blow me away
I've been making wine a LONG time, and the concept of a heavy red being drinkable at 3 months is a mind blower. My Super Tuscan and Rhone blend were good at 4 months -- total mind melt.

I've been making wine a LONG time, and the concept of a heavy red being drinkable at 3 months is a mind blower. My Super Tuscan and Rhone blend were good at 4 months -- total mind melt.
I know Bryan, I cannot explain it. But it's true, FWK Forte heavy reds that taste good at only a few months. I don't know what magical fairy dust Matteo sprinkles into the product, but I'm SOLD!!!

Last edited:
I know, Bryan I cannot explain it. But it's true, FWK Forte heavy reds that taste good at only a few months. I don't know what magical fairy dust Matteo sprinkles into the product, but I'm SOLD!!!

I am almost certain he sold his soul, or at least the winemaking part of it to the devil.

🤣😇😛🤪

Latest posts

Back