Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since August 2021:
  • Tavola Barbera, no skin packs, 08/21: Came out light bodied, good for what it is. I'll add a skin pack next time.
  • Tavola Chardonnay, 11/21: good body and flavor, it's going fast.
  • Tavola Riesling, 11/21: good body and flavor (my son's wine).
  • Forte Super Tuscan triple batch, 11/21: still in barrel, I'm VERY happy with the current aroma and taste.
  • Forte Syrah + Petite Sirah + Merlot, 11/21: still in barrel -- we actually like this one better than the Super Tuscan.
  • Tavola Sauvignon Blanc, 04/22: Good body and flavor, it will go quickly.
  • Tavola Pinot Noir, no skin packs, 04/22: light bodied but has full PN nose and flavor. Good turkey wine or for those who don't like heavy reds. I'll add a skin pack next time.
  • Frutta Blackberry, 06/22: Not my typical wine, but is pleasing so far.
  • Frutta Strawberry, 06/22: Ditto on the Blackberry.
@SLM, I have no idea what the difference is in your experience. If you purchased the first kits available, it may be that FWK improved the quality of the concentrate. Of the ones I've made, I like the Barbera (which was one of the last available Barbera kits) least.

For the CS and Merlot, add a small pinch of acid (tartaric or blend) to a glass and stir well. That may perk the wine.
In your opinion, how do these compare to the WE kits? I'm beginning to wonder if the extra steps and effort involved in making a FWK is worth it if you disregard kit taste that's only an issue for a few people.

In your opinion, how do these compare to the WE kits? I'm beginning to wonder if the extra steps and effort involved in making a FWK is worth it if you disregard kit taste that's only an issue for a few people.
I made a FWK Merlot with one skin pack. I bulked aged for about 9 months. At bottling it was very good. I’m biding my time trying to decide which to try next.

I have made 2 WE kits. I tested the waters with 2 one gallon CS kits. It was a cheap way to experiment. It actually turned out great. My other is an Argentinian Malbec. It may be my favorite but needs a little more time. When I ordered The FWK I ordered two skin packs and used one with the Malbec.

I have also made. MV Malbec, an RJS Merlot, an RJS Syrah and a WL Merlot.
All have turned out at least good. However, aside from the FWK Merlot, I am the most impressed with the WE kits. But then, I don’t get kit taste. Perhaps my palate is not sophisticated enough.

What extra steps and effort are involved with FWK?

I have done 5 FWKs and with the exception of needing to refrigerate or freeze them if they couldn't be started right away (since they are not pasteurized/shelf stable), I did them the same way as other kits.

The only other additional process is using carbon on the whites.

The FWK instructions are definitely more complete and thorough than other kits. But the overall process is the same, as far as what I have done for other kits.

I don't see that FWK is any more laborious to make than any other wine. Granted, I'm also used to spending up a day crushing grapes, and 6 to 8 hours pressing them (including cleanup), so my opinion regarding "effort" may be different.

Note that the FWK have caused me to update my process -- instead of racking at ~1.010, I'm doing the 14 day ferment and letting the gross lees drop.

Tavola Barbera, no skin packs -- I'm not as thrilled with this one, but I suspect it's because I'm not fond of straight Barbera. The wine is fine, it's just not my buddy. I might try it again, but either Forte or Tavola with 1 skin pack.

Tavola Chardonnay -- this is good, very easy to drink. Too easy. My son & d-in-l are visiting at Thanksgiving, and we'll open the WE Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay I made for their wedding reception. The WE are the new formulation, and we'll taste test against the FWK Chardonnay.

Forte Super Tuscan triple batch AND Forte Syrah + Petite Sirah + Merlot batch -- I'm REALLY pleased with both, although they are still in barrel. Six months from now we'll compare them to my 2020 Meritage and Meritage Plus (both grape wines), to see how they compare. The blends are different, but we can compare quality.

Tavola Sauvignon Blanc -- it's a good wine, although it loses in comparison to the 2020 SB made from juice, which is not surprising. I'd make it again.

Tavola Pinot Noir, no skin packs -- At bottling (6 months old) I was pleased. It's light bodied, but that was the intention. Good turkey wine. I'll evaluate again in 6 months.

Frutta Blackberry -- opened a bottle last night, it tastes like blackberries in a glass. The Frutta Strawberry tasted similar at bottling. I added both conditioning packs to each wine, and they are not sweet. These kits are well formulated.

Overall, I really like the Forte kits. I'd probably make Tavola instead of WE Reserve as the FWK are cheaper and at least equal in quality. However -- if things always worked out, I'd never make any FWK, or any kit, as I prefer grapes and juice. But things don't always work out, so I expect to make more FWK.

I'm VERY interested in what @Matteo_Lahm sources for Italian grapes and juice. If he markets Verdicchio, I'll be first on the list to buy one.

Last edited:
I've found all the FWK kits a little 'lite' w/o the skins kit. Of course, they are no lighter than WE or RJS kits. I will only make the FWK with a skins or 2 kit, depending upon my goals. The skins definitely 'make the difference'. If I compare an upper level kit from RJS or WE with a Tivoli w/1 skins pack the FKW wins hands down. I'm with Winemaker81 on the prospect of Italian juice. I'll be right there to purchase when it's available.

I am now ordering all my FWK's with 3 skins....I figure the more the better 🤷‍♂️
This weekend we are racking the Merlot kits made with Grenache and Tempranillo pomace, respectively. The amount of pomace used with each kit was SERIOUS overkill, as I had lumpy mud, not must. But the taste at pressing was interesting.

Curious if anyone making/made the newish Cali South Rhone blend?

Thinking about adding it to my inventory :cool:

Curious if anyone making/made the newish Cali South Rhone blend?

Thinking about adding it to my
I racked my Cali S Rhône today. Very nice, lots of fruit, raspberries, cotton candy, vanilla. Lighter than I expected since it had 2 skin packs. I wish it were available as a Tavola since its ABV is over 14% and I prefer lower alcohol wines.

I racked my Cali S Rhône today. Very nice, lots of fruit, raspberries, cotton candy, vanilla. Lighter than I expected since it had 2 skin packs. I wish it were available as a Tavola since its ABV is over 14% and I prefer lower alcohol wines.
Thanks for the report, and keep us posted on progress as that is the blend I'm most interested in trying (big grenache / garnacha fan). That said, I'm also really waiting to see what might get sourced from Italy.

If you want to make wines at 13.5% (just as an example), you can just add some extra water at the outset till you get to your desired Original Gravity. Best to do it with some water you have acidulated with tartaric acid so you don't wind up making the wine more alkaline (higher pH) in the process.

If it's Grenache based, a light color is not a surprise. My Grenache (grape) is very light. I made a very dark Rhone blend to color it. [which doesn't help with kits]

If you want to make wines at 13.5% (just as an example), you can just add some extra water at the outset till you get to your desired Original Gravity. Best to do it with some water you have acidulated with tartaric acid so you don't wind up making the wine more alkaline (higher pH) in the process.
I don't want to water down the wine.

This may be a little off the subject, but was considering another FWK and was looking for your favor red. I have already made the Cab and Bordeaux. They are currently 42% off of an anniversary sale.

This may be a little off the subject, but was considering another FWK and was looking for your favor red. I have already made the Cab and Bordeaux. They are currently 42% off of an anniversary sale.
If you want to stay in the Bordeaux arena, you will not go wrong with Merlot.

If you want to veer off a bit, try the Super Tuscan (mine is 1 year old, will bottle this weekend) or the Northern Rhone. If I didn't purchase Grenache grapes, I'd have made the Southern Rhone.

I’ve recently bottled the super Tuscan. It is very good already. May be my favorite FWK so far. I’m making another batch. I have the Southern Rhône in carboy. I’ve also made the Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot both are good also.

A little update on the Grenache Rose... The FWK comes with carbon and bentonite. That surprised me a little, but NBD. I dropped the yeast on Sunday morning, first thing and the wine is chugging away. Added the yeast nutrient this morning and gave it a stir. It smells great - like strawberry soda. It'll be interesting to see what this wine looks like when cleared.
What starting SG did you have? Looking at my notes as I get ready to label and it’s higher than expected. Their site says 12-13. I’m wondering if I misread it.

Look for lighter ABV red wines, ones you like. Blend a few bottles into the kit, to bring the volume back up to 23 liters (or a bit more) after racking. This will cut the ABV while not diluting the wine.
Great idea! I have several Rhône style wines of 11.5-12.5% ABV. They would all be suitable to bring down the alcohol in the Cali

Back