Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it sit and become legit" 😂 EM on FWK's is the only way I roll these days. It seems to speed up the maturity process of the wine.
[/QUOTE]

I used to do EMs for my WineExpert kits in a BigMouth Bubbler. I haven’t done an EM on the FW Kits yet. Do you do yours in a sealed bucket with an airlock or do you move it to something with less surface to air contact?

I used to do EMs for my WineExpert kits in a BigMouth Bubbler. I haven’t done an EM on the FW Kits yet. Do you do yours in a sealed bucket with an airlock or do you move it to something with less surface to air contact?

I just leave mine in the Speidel fermenter for a month. I use a towel on the top until after I add the Bag C, then I airlock it and and don't open it until time to go into the first carboy for degassing. By the time the ferment is finished there shouldn't be anything but CO2 in the fermenter.

[/QUOTE]
I use a good air tight ferment bucket with good gasket. I lock it down when SG 1.020-1.010.

My Sonoma and Meritage SG ended up being both 1.095 after 24 hours before pitching the yeast. Yesterday it was 1.100 so it dropped a little over the 24 hours. Pitched the yeast a few hours ago.
Silverbullet, My Meritage also started at 1.095 (23 Brix) and I debated adding a little sugar but passed on that to get the 'feel' for this FWK blend. After 48 hours the major 'CO2 bubbling' is done (does that have a specific name?) and I've just now added the Yeast Nutrient. I am sitting at 1.042 SG (10.5 Brix) and the must is at 80deg F (keep eating those sugars little yeast cells). Oh, I did bring my room temperature up from 68 to 72 at the 24 hour mark.

Smells great and the juice tasted fantastic...but I like sugar. That's a bad thing, so I balance that out by drinking 'dry' wine!

Has anyone tried their FWK Riesling yet? I pitched it per directions on 3/29, went to secondary then aging, and bottled on 8/10 as I wanted to take it to a wedding 9/17. When I opened a bottle on 9/12 it had a bitter follow through, and I ended up not taking it. I'm letting it age more in the bottle, but there were no indicators something was amiss, and it tasted great at bottling time. The color is good and the smell is fantastic, nice floral green apple aroma.

After 48 hours the major 'CO2 bubbling' is done (does that have a specific name?)
I've found that ferments vary so much that I haven't noticed anything prevalent around the 48 hour mark.

Looking through old notes last night, I noticed that the "dump the yeast on top" method typically took 48 hours for fermentation to take off. Making an overnight starter is a game changer.

I pitched it per directions on 3/29, went to secondary then aging, and bottled on 8/10 as I wanted to take it to a wedding 9/17.
How much did you backsweeten?

How much did you backsweeten?
I used the full sweetener pack which came with the kit, Bryan. I figured it was going to be younger crowd, so I followed the directions and didn't hold back.

Secondly, you so right, the yeast in an overnight starter sure kicks it into gear quick. I may just do the starter from here on out. I've done both (sprinkle and overnight start), but the starter really gives it that kick.

I used the full sweetener pack which came with the kit, Bryan. I figured it was going to be younger crowd, so I followed the directions and didn't hold back.
Mike, my son made the FWK Riesling -- he likes Riesling dry-n-sharp, and used 6 oz of the pack (IIRC). I asked recently how he likes it, and he admitted it needs more sugar. He likes it, but it's too sharp for most people. It's likely the Riesling needs that sugar to balance the acid.

I have the FWK Strawberry and Blackberry bulk aging, and added a full pack to each. In November I'm planning to bottle, and I suspect each will need the second pack included in the kit. After adding a pack to each, both were a bit sharp, more so than I'd attribute to being young. Acid needs sugar as a counter-balance.

Secondly, you so right, the yeast in an overnight starter sure kicks it into gear quick. I may just do the starter from here on out. I've done both (sprinkle and overnight start), but the starter really gives it that kick.
Unless circumstances prevent, I'm doing all overnight starters. The difference is startling.

It's likely the Riesling needs that sugar to balance the acid.
I'll give it a little more bottle rest and then sample again. Hopefully, it will balance out, but if not, out of curiosity, I'll add a bit of sweetener to a glass to see where it goes. It's good to hear the Riesling is liked. I had to go look, I believe the wine conditioner that ships with the Riesling is a 500ml bag. I used the full amount, or just over 16 ounces (I didn't squeeze the bag for all it's worth) for 6 gal.

Success on the Strawberry and Blackberry wines. I almost pulled the wallet out on the Blackberry and may likely still do that.

Has anyone tried their FWK Riesling yet? I pitched it per directions on 3/29, went to secondary then aging, and bottled on 8/10 as I wanted to take it to a wedding 9/17. When I opened a bottle on 9/12 it had a bitter follow through, and I ended up not taking it. I'm letting it age more in the bottle, but there were no indicators something was amiss, and it tasted great at bottling time. The color is good and the smell is fantastic, nice floral green apple aroma.
I have - turned out very good. Went by the directions plus a 1/4 c glycerin.

Success on the Strawberry and Blackberry wines. I almost pulled the wallet out on the Blackberry and may likely still do that.
I purchased them when LP had that "clear the warehouse" sale back in March (?). Based upon the last tasting, they will be popular.

@ratflinger reminded me -- we add glycerin to all wines. It makes a huge difference.

Help!
I purchased a Forte Super Tuscan kit from Label Peelers and it was delivered Wednesday 9/21, yesterday I prepared the must, diluting the juice concentrate added the skins, seeds, oak chips and packet A, which I assume is K Meta. Sanitized everything and used good technique. Made the yeast starter as directed, to be pitched 18-30 hours later.
Today when I added the starter I noticed that it is already bubbling (as I was adding the yeast starter). SG has dropped 2-3 points. I Put an airlock on just to confirm and it is bubbling steadily at 30+ bubbles /minute.
So I assume that there is a yeast other than the one I just pitched already fermenting. Since I already pitched the yeast (RC212) what should I do? Add More K Meta, wait another 24 hours and re-pitch? I have another 5 gm of RC212. I Also have EC 1118 but don't think that would be ideal.

How much do u add to a 6gal batch?
I normally use 1/2 to 1 oz per gallon.

I have added glycerin to wine I made from grapes, but never to a kit wine. What does it give you?
There's no difference between grape and kit for most additives. Glycerin helps for all wines -- grape, concentrate/kit, and fruit.

So I assume that there is a yeast other than the one I just pitched already fermenting. Since I already pitched the yeast (RC212) what should I do? Add More K Meta, wait another 24 hours and re-pitch? I have another 5 gm of RC212. I Also have EC 1118 but don't think that would be ideal.
Do nothing. If it's a wild yeast, the RC-212 will stomp it out. If it's a commercial yeast, which will dominate is unknown, but you're probably ok.

Latest posts

Back