Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, hope everyone is well. We are trying to be a little bit more environmentally conscious so we use the insulated bags instead of the Styrofoam coolers for the shorter shipments. We are also testing some recycled insulation that we hope to give as an option to customers who don’t like the Styrofoam.
Best,
Matteo

So I’m a little embarrassed to find there’s actually a checklist at the end of the instructions. Don’t know if they were there in the early instruction manuals, but it’s at the very end of the one that was included in the Forte Merlot. 🙄

Still, it’s literally just a checklist. I may go ahead with using my own.
I actually like the one you did and had a thought while reading through it. I usually devise a plan for what I want to do with each batch. The plan is in my head and there it stays, so execution realities may be different than the plan. My thought was the checklist would be a good way to help someone stick to the plan but it would have to be custom made by the winemaker like yours is.

I have the same problem with the coolers I can't trash them but very seldom can find a use for them. I do appreciate using alternatives to Styrofoam whenever possible. At least it isn't a box of peanuts with static electricity as one vendor uses
The "Postal Store" near me, a non Post Office related shipping center where you can ship UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc. takes those styrofoam peanuts for reuse. I gladly give them all get!

I have the same problem with the coolers I can't trash them but very seldom can find a use for them. I do appreciate using alternatives to Styrofoam whenever possible. At least it isn't a box of peanuts with static electricity as one vendor uses
Why do you say you can't trash them? It this prohibited by your waste management contractor? Also, if you have trouble with the static in the "peanuts" just spritz them with some water in a spray bottle and the static will not be an issue. Lastly, if the "peanuts" are green, they are likely both biodegradable and edible.

Last edited:
Why do you say you can't trash them? It this prohibited by your waste management contractor? Also, if you have trouble with the static in the "peanuts" just spritz them with some water in a spray bottle and the static will not be an issue. Lastly, if the "peanuts" are green, they are likely both biodegradable and edible.
Some of them can be placed outside and disintegrate in the rain. Problem is trying to determine which kind you have!!

Some of them can be placed outside and disintegrate in the rain. Problem is trying to determine which kind you have!!
The reason I was asking is I live near Columbus and we have Rumpke as our waste management contractor. I put Styrofoam in my trash container regularly and have never had an issue. I would not be surprised if @Darkroom had Rumpke in Cinti.

Hey all, hope everyone is well. We are trying to be a little bit more environmentally conscious, so we use the insulated bags instead of the Styrofoam coolers for the shorter shipments. We are also testing some recycled insulation that we hope to give as an option to customers who don’t like the Styrofoam.
Best,
Matteo
That is impressive. And here I would have thought that the motivation for going to the insulated bags was that you would reduce your cost by more than $30 per kit. Silly me.

Hey all, hope everyone is well. We are trying to be a little bit more environmentally conscious so we use the insulated bags instead of the Styrofoam coolers for the shorter shipments. We are also testing some recycled insulation that we hope to give as an option to customers who don’t like the Styrofoam.
Best,
Matteo
Thanks for the update and for always being transparent with your customers. While I completely understand why you do it, I do cringe every time I have to send one of those Styrofoam coolers to the landfill. Glad to see you are exploring other options, now I just need to move close enough to benefit from that.

I am curious, and I think I already know the answer but I will pose the question anyhow... Have you looked into any options for customers who are far enough away and must rely on the Styrofoam coolers to get these back to you to be recycled? I suspect it is cost prohibitive and likely costs as much, if not more, than the cost of purchasing new containers for each shipment, but it's just a thought. I know personally, I would be more than happy to slap a label on the empty box and send it back if that option were available.

I was referring to my reluctance to simply trash them, no rules against that. I look at them and think they will come in handy but yet they continue to multiply. I don't use Rumpke for garbage, they charge more and then an additional fee for recycling., we contract Best Way service, no recycling offered. We recycle and deliver to the local recycling dumpster location. (Ironically provided by Rumpke) Never used the water spritz on peanuts, thanks for the tip.

Their statement on their website:

SHIPPING MATERIALS Shrink wrap? Not in Rumpke’s residential program. Is Styrofoam acceptable in Rumpke’s program? If not, are there places to take it where it will be recycled? No, it is not acceptable in Rumpke’s program. We recommend that you take Styrofoam peanuts back to UPS or FedEx Stores.

question not related to this discussion. How long can I keep my strawberry juice in my refrigerator? I’ve had it for about 3 week. Life got in my way. Haven’t had time to get it going.
Thanks, Bakervinyard

question not related to this discussion. How long can I keep my strawberry juice in my refrigerator? I’ve had it for about 3 week. Life got in my way. Haven’t had time to get it going.
Thanks, Bakervinyard
What is the brix? Give sugar will last longer. Is it smells and tastes good, it should be good. However, is you still can't use it, freeze it

So quick question: Label Peelers is doing a bogo on their FWK kits. I was contemplating getting two of the same kit so that I would have enough to drop in to my 8 gallon barrel for six months... Here's what I already have aging in carboys: Forte Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zin and Petite Sirah; Tavola Barbera, Bordeaux Blend.

The question: I haven't tried the Super Tuscan, the Syrah, the Forte Cab or any of the whites. Do any of those standout as "must haves"?

Latest posts

Back