Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One year in, ready to bottle the cab and merlot. Both are tasting quite drinkable. Funny thing is I can hardly tell the difference between the two. I may not have a very refined palate but I should be able to tell the difference. Kind of odd.

FWK has not been using a seal cap under the top cap for several months (I believe they were having issues sourcing them over the past year). I've made several FWK kits without the inner seal on the juice bag and there have been no issues, and I haven't seen anyone report any issues due to the removal of it. Proceed onward!
Same here. In about 5 FWK kits there was no inner seal, just the screw cap. No problem. A bonus is that the screw cap fits 1/2- and 1-gallon and 3-liter jugs, so I threw away the aluminum caps that came on the jugs. In every challenge there is a gift.

Thanks, @Mekpdue, @wineview @Brant and @Rocky .... pressing on it is! Be nice if they changed the instructions, as the tell you to "Follow the Instructions!" but I suppose they have the books from last printing and will use those up. I would be a little nervous without "belt and suspenders" shipping a liquid like that (mine had thawed but was cold) with no secondary sort of seal, cover, tape, lock, etc. I thought I had read a post where one came loose and leaked. I am glad to get the hint on the cap fitting the gallon jugs... prefer plastic to metal as well!

I recently ordered a Finer Wine Kit - Riesling... I started it today and when I went to pour the juice in the pail... there was no seal on the bag. I watched the videos and read the instructions, both of which said there would be a seal under the screw cap... but no seal. I am a little concerned about the integrity of the juice, since it is supposed to be there. I am just happy the screw cap did not leak as I ordered other items from LP and it would have been a mess.
Anyone else notice the missing seal under the screw cap?
We have had to use replacement bags because of supply chain issues. None of them have seals. We are expecting the shipment of our normal bags in the end of April.
matteo

The free shipping deal is back at Label Peelers for all Finer Wine Kits - got an email this morning to that effect. For those of us further from Ohio this deal is better than when they increase the normal discount.

Edit - And now I have two more FWKs coming! Some of the reds are sold out at the moment, but I was happy to see a note on at least one of the out of stock kits (Petite Sirah Forte) saying that it would be "back in stock May 22 - MP" which is nice. I was not sure whether, once things were out of stock, we would have to wait until the Fall harvest. Glad that is not the case.

Given that Petite Sirah Forte was sold out I was happy to be able to buy a Petite Sirah Tavola and add double skins -- so I will just be missing the extra seeds and a bit of extra concentrate or more concentrated concentrate. I also scored a Tavola Sangiovese, surprised that was in stock as I knew that they could not source Sangiovese in 2021, so I gather this is from the first run of FWKs (2020 crop). I bought the Sangiovese without skins so I may try to do that one as a quick drinker, as I did with the Barbera last year (also 2020 crop, not available in 2021). Or I might split the two skin packs between the Petite and and Sangiovese in some manner - maybe do double skins in the Petite, but only EM for 2 weeks, then 'recycle' the skins in the Sangiovese, decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
I just opened my first FWK Super Tuscan. After the correct water addition, my OG was 1.117. Will that be a problem for RC 212?
Tolerant to 16%, so you're cutting it close. 1.117 - 0.995 is 16.01% (on first calculator which pulled up on google). But do you really want a 16% wine? I'd re-stir and re-check the o.g. and if it is still 1.117 I would add more water, to target 13.5 - 15%. If you don't mind 16% maybe you have some EC-118 laying around and could add that at the end to ensure it fully dries.

I just opened my first FWK Super Tuscan. After the correct water addition, my OG was 1.117. Will that be a problem for RC 212?
Since I've been doing the overnight starters, I'm finding that the SG reading at reconstitution time and the one I take the next morning before inoculating are different. For you to get that high of an OG? Check again tomorrow.

Tolerant to 16%, so you're cutting it close. 1.117 - 0.995 is 16.01% (on first calculator which pulled up on google). But do you really want a 16% wine? I'd re-stir and re-check the o.g. and if it is still 1.117 I would add more water, to target 13.5 - 15%. If you don't mind 16% maybe you have some EC-118 laying around and could add that at the end to ensure it fully dries.
I was actually surprised at the reading. I’m fermenting in a 7.9 gallon bucket so don’t want to add much more water. I have plenty of ec 118 on hand. When would be the best time to add? After 14 days if I noticed the gravity is still elevated? PS I knew the alcohol tolerance for 212 is 16% and an OG of 1.117 was cutting it very close.

Latest posts

Back