Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone actually "frozen" a FWK? I have a Sauvignon Blanc in a zero degree freezer and it's cold, but just liquid.
I’ve never frozen one. Haven’t needed to really. Last summer I got one delivered in 100F weather. My wife put the bags and skins in the spare fridge where I left them for a couple of day before starting it. Matt’s advise, as I recall, has been to put it in the fridge if you are waiting up to a week and freeze if your waiting longer. He also says it will be ok at room temp for a few days. I don’t think that includes being left in the Texas sun.

I’ve never frozen one. Haven’t needed to really. Last summer I got one delivered in 100F weather. My wife put the bags and skins in the spare fridge where I left them for a couple of day before starting it. Matt’s advise, as I recall, has been to put it in the fridge if you are waiting up to a week and freeze if your waiting longer. He also says it will be ok at room temp for a few days. I don’t think that includes being left in the Texas sun.
I would be careful of the term "room temperature" because that can vary greatly. We keep out home at 73 degrees, Winter and Summer, so that is our "room temperature." I suspect that yours in Texas could be higher.

Started my Petit Sirah Forte today. SGi was a high 1.112 but I let it go without adding more water. I may have to rethink this because I don't think I would like a wine with 15+% ABV. Color is very nice, aroma is too. Yeast is firing up and I expect to pitch it tomorrow mid-afternoon.

UPDATE: Did reduce SGi to 1.106.

Last edited:
I pitched yeast on a Merlot kit today. It came two weeks ago, back when I wasn't able to lift more than a gallon of water due to gallbladder removal restrictions. Thankfully those have been mostly lifted. Mixed everything up yesterdayand pitched the yeast today. Single skins style, the sg didn't jump up that much, only to 1.095, which is fine by me.

I would be careful of the term "room temperature" because that can vary greatly. We keep out home at 73 degrees, Winter and Summer, so that is our "room temperature." I suspect that yours in Texas could be higher.
I think he was speaking in terms of protection from spoilage. The high sugar content acts as a preservative. He did say if the bag starts to swell you need to refrigerate it or mix the must and start it right away.

Just went to order another Forte Cab Sauv and the LP website is saying that they are out of stock on the Forte Cab Sauv and Bordeaux blend. Hopefully it will be a temporary outage.

I just racked, and tried my Bourdeaux style kit, 7 months out. Unbelievable! I can't express how good it is, you have to be there!

Zin is next!
Awesome! My Forte Bordeaux is only about 2.5months into bulk aging. How long ya going b4 bottling?

Cheers!

45 minute drive. Kit was just a really heavy duty cardboard, no additional lining or insulation. I think the point is the guy “said” it was slushy, not that it actually was.
All the FWK kits I have picked up at LP have been in the UN-insulated boxes. That isn't a concern for me as I pick them up and drive them home and either start it, or place in the fridge until I'm ready. While I have had a couple of pickups missing an item in the FWK kits, LP has always been helpful in making it right. That said, I now check the box before I leave. Easy for me to do, impossible for those receiving the kits through a delivery service. LP should take note of these issues and perhaps add a packing checklist with items that can easily be checked off before an assembled box is sent out.

All the FWK kits I have picked up at LP have been in the UN-insulated boxes. That isn't a concern for me as I pick them up and drive them home and either start it, or place in the fridge until I'm ready. While I have had a couple of pickups missing an item in the FWK kits, LP has always been helpful in making it right. That said, I now check the box before I leave. Easy for me to do, impossible for those receiving the kits through a delivery service. LP should take note of these issues and perhaps add a packing checklist with items that can easily be checked off before an assembled box is sent out.
I have not had an issue with the FWK kits completeness, but it seems that these phenomena are becoming more common of late. Looks like a great opportunity for the fulfillment process improvement. It could have to do with the high volume of sales, new employees, etc., but my experience with LP is that they are 1000% customer oriented.

I have not had an issue with the FWK kits completeness, but it seems that these phenomena are becoming more common of late. Looks like a great opportunity for the fulfillment process improvement. It could have to do with the high volume of sales, new employees, etc., but my experience with LP is that they are 1000% customer oriented.
I've had several kits with missing components. They always make it right, but this is most certainly an opportunity for process improvement and cost savings for LP.

gallbladder removal restrictions
Sorry to hear about that Gall Bladder operation, cmason. I had that done last August, but let me tell you, I feel much much better now, and I can lift those carboys. And lastly, I've been eating and drinking whatever I want. Speaking of which, I have a Forte Merlot that has been aging since January and I should rack it soon. I've got another Forte Bordeaux that's been aging since Thanksgiving that I've been antsy to try again. It smelled wonderful on the last racking, and the taste was great.

I have three FWK wines in the bottle - a merlot, a cab and a petite sirah. Of the three, the PS is the most drinkable now. I like it so much that I already started another (sitting on oak right now).
Which petite sirah kit? Where did you get it? Did you tweak it at all, or made per instruction sheet? Thanks.

Sorry to hear about that Gall Bladder operation, cmason. I had that done last August, but let me tell you, I feel much much better now, and I can lift those carboys. And lastly, I've been eating and drinking whatever I want. Speaking of which, I have a Forte Merlot that has been aging since January and I should rack it soon. I've got another Forte Bordeaux that's been aging since Thanksgiving that I've been antsy to try again. It smelled wonderful on the last racking, and the taste was great.
Curious how long ya plan on aging your Forte Bordeaux? Mine's been bulk aging on oak since only late Jan...

Cheers!

The kits will always be slushy, even at below zero temperatures. There is so much sugar in the concentrate, it cannot freeze solid. When they leave Label Peelers, they are pulled from a freezer where they are stored at 10 below zero Fahrenheit.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but it's a long thread. How long can they be frozen in a chest deep freezer? How big is the box? Also, how long is the sale? I'm contemplating the Forte Zin, but I wouldn't be able to get to it until the fall.

Latest posts

Back