Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super irritated with Label Peelers today. The FWK Cab Sav I ordered didn't come supplied with any of the packets or yeast. Wtf. Now I'm having to find room I'm my fridge to store it until they ship the rest of the kit.

Any my whole house dehumidifier just took a crap on me.

Seems like today is just one of those days.

Shit happens. This too shall pass. I’m betting LP makes it right.

Super irritated with Label Peelers today. The FWK Cab Sav I ordered didn't come supplied with any of the packets or yeast. Wtf. Now I'm having to find room I'm my fridge to store it until they ship the rest of the kit.

Brant, the kit is probably very cold at this point and needs to warm up before you add the yeast. I am assuming you do not have a Brew Shop in your area where you could pick up a packet of yeast. I don't know where Boerne, TX is. Is it near any large cities? There could be Brew Shops there. I think it could take a day or two for the wine to get up to 70 degrees F, or so if you keep it in the Styrofoam. You have some time.

Brant, the kit is probably very cold at this point and needs to warm up before you add the yeast. I am assuming you do not have a Brew Shop in your area where you could pick up a packet of yeast. I don't know where Boerne, TX is. Is it near any large cities? There could be Brew Shops there. I think it could take a day or two for the wine to get up to 70 degrees F, or so if you keep it in the Styrofoam. You have some time.

The kit was room temperature when it arrived. You could even call it Luke warm. Juice bag was swollen like a beach ball. Not sure where you live but texas is hot as hell. This the last kit i purchase outside of late fall or winter. Without dry ice, this little styrofoam cooler isn't going to cut it.

The kit was room temperature when it arrived. You could even call it Luke warm. Juice bag was swollen like a beach ball. Not sure where you live but texas is hot as hell. This the last kit i purchase outside of late fall or winter. Without dry ice, this little styrofoam cooler isn't going to cut it.
That is definitely a problem. I would try to get it into a refrigerator ASAP. Dry ice and an Igloo type cooler may be the answer. Can you get some of that?

I just had a delivery of a Petit Sirah and I had forgotten that they had done away with the Styrofoam boxes. Mine came in an insulated bag and I have the juice and skins in my cellar refrigerator for the time being. If the juice bag is swollen, fermentation has begun with the natural yeast doing the work. That may not be bad, but it is not as sure as wiping out the indigenous yeast and adding the yeast of your choice. Years ago, when I made wine from California grapes, whatever yeast was on the grapes was the driver. I don't recall this ever being a fatal issue, but I am not advising to forego a wine yeast if you can get your hands on one.

Brant said:

Brant, my packets and all additives were inside the insulated bag. Are you saying that they were all missing and the only things in the bag were the juice and the skins?

On the same day? That is not good. Private message me.

How long was it in transit? I’m in Liberty Hill, 25 mi. North of Austin. My FWK shipments from LP normally take 4 days (FedEx) and I’ve never had an issue even in the dog days last summer. AKAIK LP still uses the coolers shipping to TX (2 weeks ago). if It’s already swelling you need to get it in the fridge while waiting. Sounds like a frustrating day but I’m confident LP will make it right. I recommend Van Morrison to get you through.

Thanks everyone. I threw the skins in the freezer and juice bag in the fridge. Thankfully I was able to make room otherwise I would've been making a trip to town for ice. The bag was pretty swollen but not ready to pop so I'm hopeful it didn't get too warm. Not sure what the exact temp was but I'm pretty sure it wasn't far from room temp. It didn't feel cold when I held it in my hands. I wasn't too concerned until I realized I couldn't start the process. I need to keep yeast and goferm (and whatnot) on hand for occasions like this. It would've saved me. I just hope the juice will still be good for a few more days while I wait.

Not sure about the insulated bags people keep talking about. I received a styrofoam box. Inside was the juice bag, grape skins and a muslin bag and instructions. Thats it. No packets (A thru D if I recall), yeast or oak chips.

I called LP and Jake sent the rest out 2 day air. Thanks, Jake and Matt for trying to make it right.

I was initially irritated but thankful. If this is all I have to worry about, then life is pretty darn good. I've been pretty busy working on other projects so the winemaking didn't interrupt me. One way to look at the bright side.

Not sure about the insulated bags people keep talking about. I received a styrofoam box. Inside was the juice bag, grape skins and a muslin bag and instructions. Thats it. No packets (A thru D if I recall), yeast or oak chips.

They must be shipping a mix of styrofoam boxes and insulated bags: I received a Forte Petite Sirah kit in styrofoam box on 3/22. Finally had a fermenter free to start the kit tonight.

I've been pretty busy working on other projects

Besides the chicken coop and never ended landscaping, I snuck an hour in today to build me a bottle washer. Works pretty darn good! Plus I purchased the 4 yr extended warranty on the china pump. I have my doubts that it'll last. 😆

Attachments

• 20220415_232026.jpg
    20220415_232026.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60

I picked up my FWK Super Tuscan in person last week. I brought a cooler to keep it cool, but the box wouldn’t fit. The guy who brought it out asked if he should open the box to put the contents in the cooler. He said the juice was still slushy. I declined. The juice was not slushy but in the 50’s Fahrenheit. I got it home and opened it, no styrofoam, no insulated liners. I thought what am I missing that people are talking about insulation. My thought is if the order is a pick up, it doesn’t get insulation. I did get all my yeast packets, etc. Yay. I do like, no love, that the packets are labeled with the step number.

Besides the chicken coop and never ended landscaping, I snuck an hour in today to build me a bottle washer. Works pretty darn good! Plus I purchased the 4 yr extended warranty on the china pump. I have my doubts that it'll last. 😆
Love that. What kind of pump is that? Doesn’t look like a sump pump. Is it always running even when there’s no bottle being washed? I would think that might(?) shorten the life. My carboy cleaner is a sump pump in a bucket, never beats itself up by running dry, or pumping against any resistance. Has been in service for years.

I may have to make one with your style. Looks so simple and elegant.

What kind of pump is that? Doesn’t look like a sump pump. Is it always running even when there’s no bottle being washed?

Thanks... It's the cheapest pump I could find on Amazon with hose connections. It has a little rubber paddle impeller. Spins super fast, pretty loud, always running. The positive is that it seems easy to rebuild and comes with a spare impeller and you can purchase replacement impellers. I might try and find a foot switch to turn it on and off.

I like the idea of a sump pump. I considered it but figured I would try something like this first. If the pump didn't work, I was going to return it. As is, it actually has a pretty good amount of pressure.

I picked up my FWK Super Tuscan in person last week. I brought a cooler to keep it cool, but the box wouldn’t fit. The guy who brought it out asked if he should open the box to put the contents in the cooler. He said the juice was still slushy. I declined. The juice was not slushy but in the 50’s Fahrenheit. I got it home and opened it, no styrofoam, no insulated liners. I thought what am I missing that people are talking about insulation. My thought is if the order is a pick up, it doesn’t get insulation. I did get all my yeast packets, etc. Yay. I do like, no love, that the packets are labeled with the step number.

You picked your kit up in person and by the time you got home it was in the 50s?
Was it in a cardboard box or styrofoam box? How long was your drive home?

45 minute drive. Kit was just a really heavy duty cardboard, no additional lining or insulation. I think the point is the guy “said” it was slushy, not that it actually was.

45 minute drive. Kit was just a really heavy duty cardboard, no additional lining or insulation. I think the point is the guy “said” it was slushy, not that it actually was.

If it was slushy with all the sugar, one would think the temp was pretty cold (near freezing). In 45 minutes you would think it would still be cooler than 50F. I wish I had measured the temp on mine. I was frantically trying to make room in my fridge.

I should've made room in my garage freezer to drop the temp faster. My mind was a little hijacked with having not received all of the kit.

Latest posts

Back