Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, I was advise directly by someone at LP that FWK has some sort of manufacturing setup right there in the LP facilities
My understanding is that the kits are packaged at LP's facility, but the concentrate is from a 3rd party. It's possible I misunderstood.

My understanding is that the kits are packaged at LP's facility, but the concentrate is from a 3rd party. It's possible I misunderstood.

Ah, that could possibly be the case. I know they for sure package it there and then freeze it, as was told that they have two Different freezers on site (-35 and 0 degrees) and when I asked why the concentrates I received did not have the pull tab seals, they said that they were on back order so they produced some without.

Interesting, I was advise directly by someone at LP that FWK has some sort of manufacturing setup right there in the LP facilities, so was under the impression they were not having it Co-packed for them. I was told that my Strawberry kit shipment was going to be delayed a few days as they were brewing a new batch and the employee who does it was out sick.
When I ordered my Petit Syrah a couple of weeks ago I didn’t hear anything about shipping I send them a message via the website. Matt responded that they had a run on the PT kits and had to do a new production run (his words). So, they apparently do the packaging at the LP facilities. As @winemaker81 said I do hear them talk about the concentrate supplier.

Interesting, I was advise directly by someone at LP that FWK has some sort of manufacturing setup right there in the LP facilities, so was under the impression they were not having it Co-packed for them. I was told that my Strawberry kit shipment was going to be delayed a few days as they were brewing a new batch and the employee who does it was out sick.
LP packages all the kits there from FWK. I spoke with the owner regarding the change to the bags the kits were shipped in as they no longer had the pull tab to open the kits. I was told they had a difficult time sourcing the previous bags with the tab but he was hoping to have them again. He assured me it’s still the same and they have the control over packaging in house. He was very forthcoming about the safety and quality of the kits and the process they follow to package them. I hope they get the white kit figured out.

I started a Bordeaux early November. I plan on bottling early February. Wondering when others consider the 1 year aging recommended by FWK, 1 year from the FWK instructions( 6-8 weeks) or 1 year from bottling (4 months)? Just racked last night and it is really good.

I started a Bordeaux early November. I plan on bottling early February. Wondering when others consider the 1 year aging recommended by FWK, 1 year from the FWK instructions( 6-8 weeks) or 1 year from bottling (4 months)? Just racked last night and it is really good.

I bottle 6-8 into 375ml bottles. Every 3 months after bottling, I sample one so I can see how the wine is progressing. The wines are ready on their calendar, not ours.

I also label my wines with the day I started fermentation (the day it stopped being must, and started being wine) and count all things from that date.

Wines vary greatly, and for your kit, a lot will depend on if it's Tavola or Forte, and if Tavola, did you use skin packs? The more "stuff" in the wine, the longer aging will benefit it. The "year" period is subjective and is a general measurement, not necessarily a strict one.

I started a FWK Barbera in August, no skin packs or aging oak as I want a quicker drinker. I may bottle today and possibly start drinking it in a few months. That same kit, made with 2 skin packs and 2 oz oak cubes for aging? I probably wouldn't bottle before June and other than occasional tests, I might not start drinking it for a year after that.

My tip -- open a bottle of your Bordeaux every couple of months. Record your impressions and save the notes -- do not look at old notes. After 1 year, read the notes from first to last, so you can see how you experienced the wine aging. Matt P of LP suggests bottling some of the wine in split bottles (375 ml), so you have more wine for tasting early on.

Keep in mind this is your wine. If you're happy, drink it when you want. 🙂

EDIT: I see that @jgmann67 just gave you essentially the same advice! 😂

EDIT 2: It's a good thing I keep notes! I DID add 1 oz medium toast Hungarian cubes for aging, which spent 4 months in the carboy. And I did bottle today.

Last edited:
Wines vary greatly, and for your kit, a lot will depend on if it's Tavola or Forte, and if Tavola, did you use skin packs? The more "stuff" in the wine, the longer aging will benefit it. The "year" period is subjective and is a general measurement, not necessarily a strict one.

I started a FWK Barbera in August, no skin packs or aging oak as I want a quicker drinker. I may bottle today and possibly start drinking it in a few months. That same kit, made with 2 skin packs and 2 oz oak cubes for aging? I probably wouldn't bottle before June and other than occasional tests, I might not start drinking it for a year after that.

My tip -- open a bottle of your Bordeaux every couple of months. Record your impressions and save the notes -- do not look at old notes. After 1 year, read the notes from first to last, so you can see how you experienced the wine aging. Matt P of LP suggests bottling some of the wine in split bottles (375 ml), so you have more wine for tasting early on.

Keep in mind this is your wine. If you're happy, drink it when you want. 🙂

EDIT: I see that @jgmann67 just gave you essentially the same advice! 😂
It was Forte with double skin packs. Thanks.

If it were me, I'd not bottle before at least 6 months from the start. The wine has a LOT going on in it, and letting it go through the early chemical changes in bulk will keep your wine more consistent.

I began a Forte Bordeaux in late November and just now racked off secondary (extended the primary and secondary by a week). I plan on letting it sit to mid April, taste, and maybe add some wood beans or Scott’Tan Estate tannin. Then let it sit till June, K-meta it and bottle.

My batch smelled great, a month post Covid (still haven’t gotten all my taste back 80%), and the taste for a young red is good…I wish I got the full flavors, but my wife loved it.

I agree with you, my wines birthday is the day I pitch the yeast. In trying to impart some feeling into the winemaking experience, I sometimes have my teen aged daughter (20 in 3 months-sigh) add the yeast and I tell her this is nothing but good sweet juice, but once you add that yeast, it transforms into wine. Happy Birthday!

I just ordered FWK Forte Series Merlot. I believe this comes with 2 packs of grape skins.
I plan on using a 6 Gal plastic primary fermenter till fermentation is compete (~10 days) then rack to a glass carboy. In reading some of the recent posts, it was recommended to leave it in the primary fermenter for ~8 weeks to extract more tannis, etc.
Is this the correct thing to do? Just checking because I don't want to screw this up-my first FWK.
Thanks
J

I just ordered FWK Forte Series Merlot. I believe this comes with 2 packs of grape skins.
I plan on using a 6 Gal plastic primary fermenter till fermentation is compete (~10 days) then rack to a glass carboy. In reading some of the recent posts, it was recommended to leave it in the primary fermenter for ~8 weeks to extract more tannis, etc.
Is this the correct thing to do? Just checking because I don't want to screw this up-my first FWK.
Thanks
J
[/QUOTE]
The typical recommendation here is to stir twice a day once the fermentation is in full swing and just cove the bucket with a towel or set the lid on loosely. Once it slows down (~1.010) snap the lid down tight and put an airlock on it. That usually takes much less than 10 days with these kits. Don't open it again foe at least two weeks. If you're confident in your bucket's seal I don't think 8 weeks is a problem although my personal preference is to go 4 weeks before putting into a glass carboy.

Other will jump in with more recommendations, but I can tell you that a 6 gallon kit, with double skin packs will not fit in a 6 gallon primary. The CO2 coming off the ferment, and lifting the "cap" of grape skins will take up about 8 gallons... maybe a little more. I have a 12 gallon fermenter that I used for muscadines... they grape skins really swell, to a surprising extend, and to be able to punch the cap down, you need a little more freeboard. I have read that lots of folks us a 10 or 12 gallon food grade brute container. Others will respond to the questions on leaving it on the skins... like @Rembee, who's done these kits.

I concur -- a 6 gallon fermenter is going to produce "interesting" results - visualize Mount Vesuvius in purple. Use at least a 7.9 gallon primary fermenter.

@three_jeeps, while this is not your first rodeo, I suggest following the FWK instructions as written, which will be a 2 week ferment/extended maceration. You will not be displeased with the results.

Thanks
J
The typical recommendation here is to stir twice a day once the fermentation is in full swing and just cove the bucket with a towel or set the lid on loosely. Once it slows down (~1.010) snap the lid down tight and put an airlock on it. That usually takes much less than 10 days with these kits. Don't open it again foe at least two weeks. If you're confident in your bucket's seal I don't think 8 weeks is a problem although my personal preference is to go 4 weeks before putting into a glass carboy.
[/QUOTE]
thanks! One more question - is it recommended to do MLF with this kit? if so, when?
J

Anyone heard when Finer Sangiovese will be available again?
I would not expect it until the fall. They were unable to source it last fall, and AFAIK they buy from a CA distributor, so nothing new will arrive until the next harvest.
I purchased 2 FW sangiovese kits last May. Not sure where the grapes for the juice came from, whether they were from a fresh Southern hemisphere crop overseas or from CA and the juice had been stored since the previous harvest. These were the first 2 FW kits I purchased.
So hopefully they can get/use some imported grapes and have more sangiovese this spring.

Latest posts

Back