Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! 7.9 gallon bucket is correct. you need the extra headspace to account for the activity of fermentation. You can absolutely store the juice in the refrigerator for months. You were correct to put the skins in the freezer as well. Welcome to the finer wine kits family.
Matteo

Hello Matteo, I recently received my order of Sauv Blanc. There is a concern about the posts where the white wine is very dark in color (I've seen the pictures posted), and today I noticed you do not show any white wines for sale. Should I be concerned about my order, or better yet, should I not process the Sauv Blanc I've received? I'd hate to go through the process if the kits defective.

Any news you can share regarding this issue?

0.998 is a valid FG, so it's possible the wine is done.
[/QUOTE
Thanks. I plan to give it one more day to see if any change. Otherwise, on to the carboy. I did steal a taste. It was slightly sweet but certainly promising.

One more day is probably not going to make much of a difference. Fermentation is a like a freight train... in the beginning, it slowly picks up speed; cruises a long during the bulk of the trip; then slows down as it gets close to the station. If you've racked this into a secondary (carboy) and haven't yet added any Kmeta or sorbate, wait... go a week or two without any change, then I'd say you're done.

If you have a brew belt, that can also help squeeze out those last bits of fermentation.

Labelpeelers is cheaper! So is Midwest Supplies.
"Free shipping" isn't necessarily free. Vendors often raise the price to cover shipping, then state the shipping is free, when actually it's included.

I shop my LHBS as much as possible, but when not I try to group my purchases, as some vendors offer reduced or free shipping if more than a given dollar value is purchased! In this case I'll check prices on numerous sites and figure which total cost is best, although quick and reliable shipping is often worth paying a few dollars more.

My point being that I am seeing components in the kit (2 pouches of conditioner for example) that are not traditionally found in the fruit wine kits, and they are paying Global for those components, thus adding to their COG (cost of goods) compared to WE and RJS fruit kits. I find that LP advertises a MSRP, Retail and Current price. My marketing experience is telling me that they are building brand awareness and market share while conditioning consumers by showing the higher price. I suspect once the introductory period is over and demand meets their projections, they will do away with the current price and the Retail will be the everyday price we see/pay (with occasional sales). Why else show three price structures. I could be wrong, and believe me I hope I am as I plan on buying ALOT of these kits, but the Forte kit is currently delivered to me at $145, a WE PR or RJS EP kit is $175-185 delivered to me. They know this and will look to parity match their products and not give up that margin. And if their product ends up being superior in quality to those others, even at parity pricing they will have an advantage and a point of differentiation, thus we will buy there’s.

Last edited:
My point being that I am seeing components in the kit (2 pouches of conditioner for example) that are not traditionally found in the fruit wine kits, and they are paying Global for those components, thus adding to COG (cost of goods). I find that LP advertises a MSRP, Retail and Current price. My marketing experience is telling me that they are building brand awareness and market share while conditioning consumers by showing the higher price.
We are not disagreeing. I too was surprised when I saw that one in your picture.

Well…. I cleaned up the basement - capped and labeled 175 bottles; moved 16 gallons of wine; blended the Pennsylvania Cab Franc with some FWK Lodi Petite Sirah.

Now I have a Dry Creek Chard and Luna Bianca in primaries and a FWK Forte Zin on deck (will start that tonight or tomorrow).

Hi. My name is Jim… I’m a wine-making-addict. 🙄

I recently purchased 11 Finer Wine kits (I have historically only done WE what are now called Private Reserve kits). 3 whites (Sav Blanc, Reisling, Chardonnay) and 8 reds (1 of each Forte). The first 6 (3 whites, 3 reds) just racked to secondary today (day 15) and 5 more reds rolling. Not sure of the whites color concern - my are fresh in secondary so have a ton of clearing to do. Orange to rust right now...

I went covered with airlock from day 1 - only opening to punch down and add nutrients, etc. No issues obtaining sub 1.000 sg by day 15. Ferm reached 80 degrees for a few days in a 72 degree room with must temp staying above 68 for the duration.

The only challenge I've had is topping up. I started with 6.0 gallons in a 7.9 gallon bucket - had to add 1 to 2 bottles of commercial wine to reduce headspace. I have a tad left but should have enough activity for it to be OK for 14 days. Then i'll run the wine through a Super Jet with #2 pads - should get it bottle ready.

If these come out good (well 18 months from now....) I'll probably snag a few more wine coolers (when wife not looking)!

Attachments

• AE2F3E93-5F1C-4829-B3D4-39C7A3EB7780.jpeg
    AE2F3E93-5F1C-4829-B3D4-39C7A3EB7780.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 06DCC408-0988-43FB-B227-44AB10AE59C7.jpeg
    06DCC408-0988-43FB-B227-44AB10AE59C7.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 2BB9AAFB-2842-4594-B083-F685B9C58644.jpeg
    2BB9AAFB-2842-4594-B083-F685B9C58644.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 28C71647-D995-4075-9185-3D146623B9B0.jpeg
    28C71647-D995-4075-9185-3D146623B9B0.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 56EFE4DA-F3CC-4718-8720-E30CDEB2D2E1.jpeg
    56EFE4DA-F3CC-4718-8720-E30CDEB2D2E1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 894974E7-78C3-43BF-8BBC-9D5EAB94BAC5.jpeg
    894974E7-78C3-43BF-8BBC-9D5EAB94BAC5.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 48
  • B7895AFE-5FC8-49FF-AD12-6E6C950FB39D.jpeg
    B7895AFE-5FC8-49FF-AD12-6E6C950FB39D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 47
Fred, you seem to have some of the same issues with the color of the whites that many of us do. Your Chardonnay is the only one of your three that has a color close to what would be expected. I have only made one white, an FWK Tavola series Sauvignon Blanc, and it is about the same color as yours.

100_1841.JPG

I know the people at FWK and Label Peelers are working feverishly on the issue and I am eager to hear a cause and/or a solution. I don't think anything can be done for the wine we now have but perhaps future kits will be more true color.

I recently purchased 11 Finer Wine kits (I have historically only done WE what are now called Private Reserve kits). 3 whites (Sav Blanc, Reisling, Chardonnay) and 8 reds (1 of each Forte). The first 6 (3 whites, 3 reds) just racked to secondary today (day 15) and 5 more reds rolling. Not sure of the whites color concern - my are fresh in secondary so have a ton of clearing to do. Orange to rust right now...

I went covered with airlock from day 1 - only opening to punch down and add nutrients, etc. No issues obtaining sub 1.000 sg by day 15. Ferm reached 80 degrees for a few days in a 72 degree room with must temp staying above 68 for the duration.

The only challenge I've had is topping up. I started with 6.0 gallons in a 7.9 gallon bucket - had to add 1 to 2 bottles of commercial wine to reduce headspace. I have a tad left but should have enough activity for it to be OK for 14 days. Then i'll run the wine through a Super Jet with #2 pads - should get it bottle ready.

If these come out good (well 18 months from now....) I'll probably snag a few more wine coolers (when wife not looking)!
Are you topping up in the primary? If so, why?

I shop my LHBS as much as possible,
I am lucky because Midwest Supplies IS my LHBS. And I thought that even before I won a gift card from them in their Black Friday drawing. Now I just have to see how many of my Christmas wishes for carboys come true before I go there to finish spending the rest of the GC! 😎

@Bmd2k1 You asked about FWK Bordeaux in another thread but I’m responding here. We’re kinda all over the place with FWK threads. I racked a FWK Bordeaux double kit yesterday that I started in June. I have 11.5 gallons that I racked into 6g and 5g carboys. Filled two bottles and drank the rest. It could use some more time but is really good. I’m going to bottle all of it next week. This is two Tavoli kits with single skins pack and it may become my go-to for an everyday drinker. Lighter that what you get in a Forte but great flavor, color, aroma. Also racked a Sangiovese that I started in May. It is very good too but with double skins so I’m leaving it in the carboy for a while longer.

in the secondary as shown in the pictures. That is the height I left them at after putting all of the commercial bottles pictured into them.

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were topping up during primary fermentation and couldn't figure out why you would be doing that. I don't top up until after I rack from secondary. If I stay with a 6 gallon carboy, I can use anywhere between 1 and 2 bottles. For the most part, after secondary I rack to a 5 gallon carboy and usually don't need to top up.

Last edited:
Question about my FWK Zin. I just reconstituted the juice last night and prepped the starter and yeast. But, my juice bag did not have a safety tab inside the screw off cap. It only had the cap.

The juice smells good and everything seems normal. But still. When something purposely called “the safety tab” is missing, I get flashes of the Tylenol scare of the 1980’s.

Question: How big of a deal is this?

You should’ve gotten a little note in the box that explained the safety tab. Because of supply chain issues, we could not get a quick re-order of our usual bags and had to buy a substitute. we will be returning to our normal bags as soon as possible.
Sorry about the confusion.
Matteo

Question about my FWK Zin. I just reconstituted the juice last night and prepped the starter and yeast. But, my juice bag did not have a safety tab inside the screw off cap. It only had the cap.

The juice smells good and everything seems normal. But still. When something purposely called “the safety tab” is missing, I get flashes of the Tylenol scare of the 1980’s.

My last batch of kits did not, either.

It's all about food safety, and when we have products that pass through numerous hands and spend months in storage, safety features are important. However, in this case I don't see a problem, as the kits are assembled by a small team, shipped, and in our hands within a couple of days. If the box arrives sealed, it's not been tampered with.

@Matteo_Lahm, I don't recall seeing a note in my kits, which arrived in November.

Latest posts

Back