Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermentation has started and there is a sweet smell in my new wine area. I think whoever developed these kits did a lot of research and reasoning before constructing them. I had to split the triple batches into a 20 gallon and a 7 gallon fermenter because I was concerned about the amount of foam in fermentation and a triple batch might overflow the 20 gallon fermenter. I moved 3 gallons out of the 18 total into the 7 gallon fermenter because the math worked more easily, i.e. I had six grape skin packs so I left 5 in the 20 gallon and put 1 in the 7 gallon. I also prorated all the additives (oak, starter, etc.) at a 5/1 division. I don't think this will be an issue. I have my 10 gallon Home Depot fermenter awaiting the Zinfandel that I ordered!

100_1824.JPG100_1825.JPG100_1826.JPG

I had to split the triple batches into a 20 gallon and a 7 gallon fermenter because I was concerned about the amount of foam in fermentation and a triple batch might overflow the 20 gallon fermenter.
I had two 32 gallon Rubbermaid Brutes and was going to purchase a pair of 20 gallons for this year's winemaking, as the 32's are overkill for four 36 lb lugs of grapes. However, I could not find 20's, and the 32's with lids were a really good value, so I got 2 more.

3 kits fill a 32 gallon Brute within 18" (or so) of the top, so I'm ok with my purchase. Better too big than too small!

If you're going to continue making triple batches, get a 32. Anyone wanting to make a quad? Get a 40.

I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon (double batch of Bordeaux). My strategy to slow down the ferment was this: I only made a starter with one of the two yeast packs. I checked it this morning before leaving for work (about 16 hours after pitching). No visible sign that the fermentation has started but a slight yeast smell. I pitched the second pack of yeast at that time by sprinkling it on top of the must. Temperature was 70F, so room temperature. If I get any indication that the ferment is stalling I have more yeast and the second Package B to make another starter. Fingers crossed I'm doing the right thing.

I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon (double batch of Bordeaux). My strategy to slow down the ferment was this: I only made a starter with one of the two yeast packs. I checked it this morning before leaving for work (about 16 hours after pitching). No visible sign that the fermentation has started but a slight yeast smell. I pitched the second pack of yeast at that time by sprinkling it on top of the must. Temperature was 70F, so room temperature. If I get any indication that the ferment is stalling I have more yeast and the second Package B to make another starter. Fingers crossed I'm doing the right thing.
First, I'm enjoying this thread. Thank you everyone who has added their comments. Late last week I ordered and picked up (I live local to LPs) and was ready to start my Bordeaux (Single Batch) this past weekend, but alas, they forgot to give me their directions. No worries there, I'll stop over and pick up the packet. Called Label Peelers and they told me the directions/pamphlet was 11 pages, that seems like a lot. Anyway, this being my first FWK, I wanted to ensure I didn't screw it up with my guesswork.

I did look on the box and you are correct, Old Corker, there are no liquid quantities that I see on my box either. That said, I have no knowledge of earlier versions.

Hopefully, I'll get this batch started before Thanksgiving. I miss the nice aroma of fermentation....but not like a lot of CO2!

Oh, finally, nice little winery @Rocky

I had two 32 gallon Rubbermaid Brutes and was going to purchase a pair of 20 gallons for this year's winemaking, as the 32's are overkill for four 36 lb lugs of grapes. However, I could not find 20's, and the 32's with lids were a really good value, so I got 2 more.

3 kits fill a 32 gallon Brute within 18" (or so) of the top, so I'm ok with my purchase. Better too big than too small!

If you're going to continue making triple batches, get a 32. Anyone wanting to make a quad? Get a 40.

I agonized over whether to buy the 32 gallon or the 20 gallon Brute. Before I sold everything, I had two 20 gallon and 1 32 gallon Brutes. I could make a quad batch in the 32 gallon and I made several triple batches in the 20's so I went for the 20's. I did not know the amount of foaming that I might get with the Finer Wine kits. I think either one would be fine but I will get more use out of the 20's. I probably will buy a 32 at some point.

First, I'm enjoying this thread. Thank you everyone who has added their comments. Late last week I ordered and picked up (I live local to LPs) and was ready to start my Bordeaux (Single Batch) this past weekend, but alas, they forgot to give me their directions. No worries there, I'll stop over and pick up the packet. Called Label Peelers and they told me the directions/pamphlet was 11 pages, that seems like a lot. Anyway, this being my first FWK, I wanted to ensure I didn't screw it up with my guesswork.

I did look on the box and you are correct, Old Corker, there are no liquid quantities that I see on my box either. That said, I have no knowledge of earlier versions.

Hopefully, I'll get this batch started before Thanksgiving. I miss the nice aroma of fermentation....but not like a lot of CO2!

Oh, finally, nice little winery @Rocky

Bryan, I am glad that I do not live in Kent like you do. I would be flat broke in a matter of months! Thank you for the compliment on my wine area. It used to be my "shop" but I sold my table saw, miter saw, jointer, router table, etc. I just kept one work bench and some hand tools. Not doing any carpentry any longer.

I am interested in your Bordeaux. Keep us up on your progress.

Hello all. I don’t chime in often but I read everything you guys write about our wine kits and I really appreciate all of your insights. I’ve been especially interested in your feedback about the starters. Allow me to clarify why we use them. Fermentation starts like a rocket and ends like a paper plane. Those last increments of sugar take weeks to process, that’s how much the yeast slows down with a higher alcohol content. When you get to that point, those really high populations that are enabled by the starters can finish the job and better still, they clean up after themselves. So far we have sold thousands of kits and have not had one report of stuck fermentation. When you have a robust healthy yeast population, they don’t struggle. Low populations and unfavorable conditions cause stress and that is almost always what produces weird smells and tastes aside from sanitation issues. Anyway, my two cents. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Matteo

Thank you Matteo. For me one of the reasons I like these Finer Wine Kits is hearing from the maker like this. You just don't get this kind of customer care very often. What are your thoughts on the fermentation temperatures we've been seeing. It seems to be mostly when doing multiple kits in larger vessels. Any concerns?

Edit: Just saw your other post. Done!

Fermentation starts like a rocket and ends like a paper plane.
Having the SG drop 60 points in 24 hours really freaked me out, as it was totally out of my experience and completely unexpected. However, I did note to myself, "Well, I don't have to worry about a stuck fermentation!" ;) Having personally encountered H2S for the first time a year ago, I have a very deep appreciation for anything that prevents it.

At this point, I'm a lot less freaked by the rapid ferments. I'm making a longer reply to @Matteo_Lahm's comments in the Fast Ferment thread, which will appear some time later today.

As for the larger quantities, I think there is less risk of stuck fermentation because of the volume. One of the difficulties with making wine at home in small batches is that you don’t get that internal temperature that you achieve with hundreds of gallons. That’s another reason why higher temperatures don’t concern me. Big batches get hot and it’s probably why wineries that are using spontaneous fermentation do OK. Those wild yeast strains are less formidable and the temperature is probably what helps them get to the end.

Update on my Bordeaux double batch. When I got home last night the only sign of fermentation was that the skin bags were now floating. Temperature was up slightly at 71F but SG had not budged. I mis-typed in an earlier post about my starting SG, it was actually 1.110. I went to bed thinking about a recovery plan. This morning found the ferment was off to the races with good foaming action. I punched it down but didn't take the time to take SG or temp readings. I'm thinking by this evening I'll be right on schedule to add the nutrients.

Bordeaux update: Checked in last evening around 6:00pm and it was steaming along foaming aggressively. SG down .030 to 1.080, Temp. 78F. I suspended a frozen 1 gal water jug in it and covered with a towel. Checked in again this morning (5:15am day3). SG down to 1.055, Temp 72F. Punched it down and added the two packs of nutrient. Still foaming but slightly less aggressive than last night. Left the water jug in it. There was still some frozen water in it but will probably not survive the day.

I'm pushing pause on my winemaking until I can get a few things downstairs under control. I have a backlog of 150 bottles waiting to be capsuled and labeled, another four batches of wine waiting to get in the bottle (probably 180 bottles total), 8 gallons of wine waiting to get in the barrel, and two white wine kits on deck.... I'm afraid I'm going to lose control of the situation and not know what is what. It's a good problem to have... but it's still a problem

So, instead of buying more, we'll clean up the downstairs and plot our next batches of red in spring. They'll be the FWK, for sure. And, more than likely the top end kits with skins and seeds. It's really just a question of which ones and how much. I'm going to keep watching this thread and see what produces the best results.

@jgmann67, if you haven't already, label everything!

You're making a wise decision. You can easily overwhelm yourself and this can make the hobby a chore, not a pleasure.

Riesling and Chardonnay look a lot alike as they are clearing ... and the reds I have look identical. Yes, I learned the hard way ... 😜

labels.jpg

@jgmann67, if you haven't already, label everything!

You're making a wise decision. You can easily overwhelm yourself and this can make the hobby a chore, not a pleasure.

Riesling and Chardonnay look a lot alike as they are clearing ... and the reds I have look identical. Yes, I learned the hard way ... 😜

View attachment 81350

No worries there - my carboys are all labeled, barrel is labeled with its current resident. I have five wines in bottle though - Malbec, two Merlot, a Cab and a blend - that need caps and labels though.

They’re all nicely separated in the wine room too… waiting patiently. But pushing any more bottles into the mix without dealing with the backlog would be a bad idea.

Back