Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning -

We bottled the FWK Cabernet and Merlot over the weekend, dosed the Barbera, Petite Sirah, and Barolo; then topped up and dosed the ST in the barrel. The Barolo is a WE kit; the ST and Cab Franc are from grapes. I'm going to pull it out of the barrel some time in November. I just need to have something to put in the barrel lined up first. With any luck, the Cab Franc will be ready to go in by then.

I will say, all the FW Kits have been pretty trouble free for me so far (knock wood). Nice nose, great color, full body and decent flavor profile. Very happy.

I bottled a Finer Wine Pinot Noir yesterday. Iā€™m not a big Pinot fan, but I enjoyed this one At this point. I have a FW Cab Sauv in carboy, still deciding if I want to oak it more, so Iā€™ll keep it in the carboy And taste it every so often. I also have Chile juice buckets of Cab Sauv and Malbec started near the same time. It will be interesting to see how the 2 Cabs compare.

Interested in anyone's experience with their white wines. I've done four of their reds and am gearing up to do a white wine next, probably a chardonnay.
I'll be watching for replies here. I ordered two whites but they will be my first FWK whites. My plan is to add some citrus zest to the Sauv. Blanc but I'll do the Riesling straight up and dry.

I pre-ordered two whites (Tavola Series) and two reds (Forte). Just got an email earlier today that the whites have shipped. No word on the Forte kits.
I received an email that 2 whites & 1 red shipped, 5 more reds on order. I suspect Label Peelers is building kits in batches by varietal -- it's more efficient and far less likely to make a mistake. I expect they're shipping as fast as they can.

The Chardonnay and Riesling arrived yesterday and were up to temperature this morning. On arrival the Chardonnay was 58 F and the Riesling 54 F.

We are doing a colder ferment at 65-66 F, which happens to coincide with my cellar temperature.

Received my Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling kits yesterday and mixed the musts this evening. The concentrate was thick like the reds have been. The Riesling had a light colored ā€˜cloudā€˜ floating in the bag. Almost looked like sediment in the juice. Once the water was added and the must stirred it was not noticeable. SB came with oak chips which I was not expecting. I added to the must per instructions. The other thing of note was that the concentrate in both kits was very dark in color. I hope it lightens up while fermenting.

Received my riesling kit this week & started it today. I'd say that at least 1/3 of the bag was sugars. Took 5 bag rinsings to get it all out. The juice tastes like apple juice, so I'm hoping for a nice, dry riesling. And I doubt that I'll need the f-pack that came with it. :h

Received my riesling kit this week & started it today.
The five kits we received in the last week were all partially frozen, which is good. It took a gallon of water to rinse out each bag.

I doubt that I'll need the f-pack that came with it.
That was my son's reaction when he pulled the conditioner out of the box, as he's a dry Riesling drinker as well. :)

My response was that he can add as much or little as he wants, and toss the remainder in the freezer for another use. [My guess is the entire thing will be used for a fruit wine.]

I also got a Moscato, which tastes similar to the riesling, but didn't have any sugar falling out of suspension. No conditioner with this kit, so I guess they expect it to be enjoyed dry, which is fine by me. About the only sweet wine I like is a little sauternes, with a nice foie gras.

Received my riesling kit this week & started it today. I'd say that at least 1/3 of the bag was sugars. Took 5 bag rinsings to get it all out. The juice tastes like apple juice, so I'm hoping for a nice, dry riesling. And I doubt that I'll need the f-pack that came with it. :h
I'm doing my Riesling dry as well. I thought about saving the F-pack to use to fortify something but the ingredients say it also contains sorbate. May just save it for a skeeter pee batch. Was you concentrate dark in color? I know that dark color in a white wine doesn't necessarily affect the taste but it is an aesthetic concern if it doesn't lighten up.

Was you concentrate dark in color?
Both the Riesling and Chardonnay concentrates were very dark brown. After reconstitution they were still on the dark side (cue Eddy and the Cruisers), but as fermentation winds down, the color is much lighter. Once the wine clears, the color should be fine.

IMG_20211115_151127608.jpg

Latest posts

Back