Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fascinated by the interesting conversation on TDS effect on SG on this thread. I ran the FW Super Tuscan /w 2 skin packs and RJS EP Super Tuscan side-by-side under similar conditions for comparison under 2 month EM. Both are now racked and have some data points to share : the SG / FG for the FW kit were 1.092 / 0.996 and for the RJS EP kit were 1.102 / 0.992. I believe the difference between the two comes down to the jammy skin pack in the RJS kit adding additional sugar that was missing in the FW skin packs resulting in lower alcohol concentration in the fermentated juice. The lower alcohol concentration will result in a higher FG in the FW kit.

Yes, the FW kit did ferment at a much faster rate (both used similar RC212 yeast starters), and another observation - degassing in 6 gallon carboys with the AIO degasser produced MUCH more CO2 evolution in the FW compared with the RJS kit - still trying to figure that one out (I had to break the vacuum multiple times otherwise it would have overflowed into the vacuum line, which I haven't seen before). I also have slightly more volume with the RJS kit after racking (leaving little liquid in the primary with both). Too early to compare the wines - they are now both dosed with cellaring tannins and too young. The FW kit did taste a little more lacking in body from the sip I had, but I wouldn't read too much into that at this stage.

I have an RJS EP Syrah that just received its second (5 month) racking and sneaked a sip - it's still way too young, but has wonderful varietal character and body. I therefore just ordered the FW Syrah /w double skins before the price increase ($114 shipped to CA) and will be running as a second comparison.

Last edited:
I'm fascinated by the interesting conversation on TDS effect on SG on this thread. I ran the FW Super Tuscan /w 2 skin packs and RJS EP Super Tuscan side-by-side under similar conditions for comparison under 2 month EM. Both are now racked and have some data points to share : the SG / FG for the FW kit were 1.092 / 0.996 and for the RJS EP kit were 1.102 / 0.992. I believe the difference between the two comes down to the jammy skin pack in the RJS kit adding additional sugar that was missing in the FW skin packs resulting in lower alcohol concentration in the fermentated juice. The lower alcohol concentration will result in a higher FG in the FW kit.

Yes, the FW kit did ferment at a much faster rate (both used similar RC212 yeast starters), and another observation - degassing in 6 gallon carboys with the AIO degasser produced MUCH more CO2 evolution in the FW compared with the RJS kit - still trying to figure that one out (I had to break the vacuum multiple times otherwise it would have overflowed into the vacuum line, which I haven't seen before). I also have slightly more volume with the RJS kit after racking (leaving little liquid in the primary with both). Too early to compare the wines - they are now both dosed with cellaring tannins and too young. The FW kit did taste a little more lacking in body from the sip I had, but I wouldn't read too much into that at this stage.

I have an RJS EP Syrah that just received its second (5 month) racking and sneaked a sip - it's still way too young, but has wonderful varietal character and body. I therefore just ordered the FW Syrah /w double skins before the price increase ($114 shipped to CA) and will be running as a second comparison.
It's interesting that you and some others have commented about how much CO2 you noticed when you degassed a FW kit. I did a FW Merlot with one skin pack a while ago and was surprised that I got very, very little gas and no foam when I degassed with a mixstir.

Just racked my Barbera (no skins) that I started last Thursday and pitched the yeast starter on Friday. Went from 1.097 to .996 in 4 days! I've never tried Barbera before so I have no idea how this compares, but I liked the sample I tried while racking. The directions are geared toward EM for the skins, so they say to let it sit for 14 days (after yeast pitch) before racking, but since I didn't get skins I figured it's time to get it under airlock. In 2 weeks, I will stabilize, degas, and rack it again.

Last edited:
Bottled my chardonnay today ,didn't taste it yet I will tomorrow yield was 24/ 750 m bottles 🍼😋

Yes I did, tonight ill give it a try.
There's a lot of boil off in this product the more solids the more sugars. The more boil off.

Ya,reds usually deliver more product.
I tasted my chard today it reminded me of Francis Ford Coppola's chardonnay, good fruit, light oak but it's there on the palate and a clean finish.
I think adding the oak and tannins in the primary and an additional 1/2 teaspoon in the secondary combined with the heavy amount of solids in this kit actually made it more efficient to manage yet harder to clear.
Make any sense?
This is definitely a decent kit.

Curious from others if that yield is typical?

Cheers!
I got 29+ bottles from my FW Sauvignon Blanc. I did keep it in a 6gal carboy and topped it up using a total of about two bottles SB from my stash.

I just got a double skin pack Zinfandel yesterday! I was expecting the skin packs to be vacuum packed. Does anyone know if the air inside is purged with inert gas? I’m a bit worried about freezer burn and oxidation of the skins if not.

I just got a double skin pack Zinfandel yesterday! I was expecting the skin packs to be vacuum packed. Does anyone know if the air inside is purged with inert gas? I’m a bit worried about freezer burn and oxidation of the skins if not.
Oxidation with dried fruits is not usually a problem.

I got 29+ bottles from Pinot Noir and Super Tuscan. Looks to be the same for the Pte Syrah

Broke down and ordered a double skins zin kit last week so I could get the sweet, sweet 10% discount for life.

Started six gallons of dry pyment, and 3 gallons of dwojinak style pyment. I'm rather excited where these will turn out.

I talked to Matt at LP, here is his response:

Yes, the skins bags were purged with Nitrogen prior to filling the bags. They have been stored at -10 degrees F since the Fall Harvest. No worries about freezer burn.

Just an FYI to everyone

Back