Finer Wine Kit Finer Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my chardonnay is in the secondary and doesn't seem to want to clear even alittle bit .
I'll wait b till the end of next week if it doesn't start to clear I'll install pectin enzyme.
6 gallons to start racked down to a5 gallon batch, thats normal.xnormal.x

I like the Durif idea but it will never change, just like Zinfandel will never be called Primotivo. But here to just say that "Petite Sirah" is the accepted spelling in the U.S.

Oops. I edited my post to reflect your correct spelling of "Petite." As I said in my edit, I was focusing on the "Sirah" and screwed the "Petite"! :slp

Well my chardonnay is in the secondary and doesn't seem to want to clear even alittle bit .
I'll wait b till the end of next week if it doesn't start to clear I'll install pectin enzyme.
Interesting... my Zinfandel didn’t want to clear, but I had also used Bentonite. When I placed a light behind the carboy, it was like a full blown eclipse. I finally used the Chitosan, hoping that the flavor wasn’t being stripped by the bentonite, and it cleared in 12 hours. It tastes amazing and I don’t think there’s any flavor change. No huge fluffy lees either. I should be getting a Bordeaux today and I’ll do it sans the bentonite and see how it goes. Good luck with your Chardonnay!

Got a question for the group, I started the FW Cab on June 1st. It's been sitting under an airlock bucket for 2 weeks now. From the sound of the sloshing, it seems the skin bags might have fallen but not sure, Haven't opened it since. I'm leaving out on vacation on July 1st and won't get back till July 10th.
Is 6 weeks too long to leave it there or should I transfer it to a carboy before leaving?

I'm thinking about doing a white wine FWK after I get the next red one underway. Trying to decide on which one. Did the Chardonnay come with oak. If not do they recommend oaking it?

My Zin is fermenting nicely and smells great! One bag of skins is very generous and enough for my needs. I have one innocent question and am not trying to cause trouble, just looking for ideas. What do we do with all the styrofoam coolers?
Finer Wine Kits requested we look into the possibilities of allowing the recycling of the coolers. It was too expensive of an option with the cost of shipping. The styrofoam coolers are only being used in the hot months. Special recyclable padded insulation will be used during cooler/cold months.

On another note, Finer Wine is working with us right now to offer an option to have a tree planted in place of getting an instruction booklet if you have a current booklet from a past order. Finer Wine is very concerned with creating the least amount of waste possible.

You can always use them to pack things away in storage. They protect from quick temperatures fluctuations an even air transfer. Using them to transfer cold food one way is a nice option also.

Cheers!

The Label Peelers' Family

Label Peelers said “On another note, Finer Wine is working with us right now to offer an option to have a tree planted in place of getting an instruction booklet if you have a current booklet from a past order. Finer Wine is very concerned with creating the least amount of waste possible.”

Why not place a check box in the ordering form as an option (like No Skins, 1 Skin, or 2 Skins) to plant a tree, & not include the booklet. The instructions already appear online, and are in the drop down with the YouTube Videos. I would have a “Postcard“ with the URLs, on the Order Confirmation, Shipping Notification, and in the Kit. Just a suggestion ;)

Well first of all the instructions are the same basically so that elaborate of a booklet isn't necessary, and yes the chard came with an oak packet I added a teaspoon of oak tannins in the primary, don't like the wood taste to be over powering so less is more for me.
revisited the chard and Riesling added pectin enzyme to both time will tell.

My Barbera kit arrived today. It wasn't cold in the slightest. I wouldn't say it was hot, or even warm. But definitely not cold nor slightly chilled. Room temp.

*Edit* and according to Advisory 2 at the top of the list, that should be fine. There is no swelling of the bag and it's cooling now.

Last edited:
The Super Tuscan & Petit Syrah came in today and was 70* - this was to South Texas. Shipped on Tues. I was only slightly concerned until I also saw Advisory 2 - not worried at all now. I'm also in favor of planting a tree instead of the booklet. Maybe since LP always has our email they could just email the instructions or include a link for the download.

*EDIT* - I had no issues with the pull tab

Finer Wine Kits requested we look into the possibilities of allowing the recycling of the coolers. It was too expensive of an option with the cost of shipping. The styrofoam coolers are only being used in the hot months. Special recyclable padded insulation will be used during cooler/cold months.

On another note, Finer Wine is working with us right now to offer an option to have a tree planted in place of getting an instruction booklet if you have a current booklet from a past order. Finer Wine is very concerned with creating the least amount of waste possible.

You can always use them to pack things away in storage. They protect from quick temperatures fluctuations an even air transfer. Using them to transfer cold food one way is a nice option also.

Cheers!

The Label Peelers' Family

Label Peelers told me via email that packaging should keep the Finer Wine kit cool for up to 7 days.
Anyone have thoughts on that?
Once border reopens, I plan to order kit and direct it to Can-Am depot in Port Huron, Mich., an hour's drive from my home in Canada.
Logistics may force me to take an extra day before fetching it so it would be shipping time + 1 day retrieving it and hopefully no additional delay in dealing with the depot.

Label Peelers told me via email that packaging should keep the Finer Wine kit cool for up to 7 days.
Once border reopens, I plan to order kit and direct it to Can-Am depot in Port Huron, Mich., an hour's drive from my home in Canada.
Logistics may force me to take an extra day before fetching it so it would be shipping time + 1 day retrieving it and hopefully no additional delay in dealing with the depot.
We've had 100f temps where I'm at and most of the country my package traveled was very warm as well. It took 3 days for mine to arrive and had it gone 4, I'm not sure it would have been good. I'd gladly pay a bit more for some dry ice packs.

Based on my experiences with gifts received form Omaha Steaks (frozen product, dry ice) in a much heavier cooler than what the Finer Wine Kits come in, I don't see how those kits can possibly stay cool in hot weather for up to a week. I've only ordered one and it was during fairly cool weather. It took 3 days to get here and was about room temp. No swelling of the bag, but I doubt it would have survived a week in hot weather.

I racked my Cab from the Fermonster yesterday, after a 4 week EM. I didn't taste it, but can tell you this wine does not smell at all like a kit. Looking forward to the end result.

Here's what LP told me about my delayed shipment. "The finer wine kits stay cool for 7 days in transit and are good for three days after that at room temperature. Furthermore, we made a kit that was in transit for 14 days and returned back to us and it turned out phenomenal. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to ask me anytime. "

Latest posts

Back